Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Character rigging for long clothing?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Thessera vertex
I'm a nub .. sry xD

I have faced a big dilemma, i have absolutely no idea how to rigg a  characters with clothings.  I have failed like a billion times..  I have   tried to connect the clothing to the character , where i skinned the clothing along with  the body mesh... it worked for arms and chest.. but when it comes to.. long clothings.. like dresses. it didn't quite work...

What's the best method? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, a better thread title will help you get responses. For example, instead of "Character Rigging - Need help : ' (" use something like "Character rigging for long clothing?" So, I renamed it for you.

Second, it helps to mention which software you're using, because solutions are often software-specific.

Thirdly, you should show images of your problem. Wireframes, skeletons, weight display, etc. It's hard to help without seeing the problem.

Fourth, I moved this to the Animation section since you're likely to get riggers' eyeballs in here. Good luck!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    bones/joints; either key framed as part of animation clips, or simulated in engine. Long thin strips using chain rigid bodies. large sheets with cloth sim. it's more less the same in 3d package, just the cloth sim is more robust than real-time engines. if using cloth sim no need to rig at all.

if the underlying mesh is never visible (arm, legs, etc) there's no need to include them in the model.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    i know this is an old thread :D
    but i have a question to regarding rigging:

I have a char + jacket:
    Char -> has uv
    Jacket -> has uvs
    ------------
    what is the way to rig this?
    When the arms of my char are not visible because of the jacket, do i have to delete the not-visible parts of the arms?
    Can i "boolean" it together to prevent the edges of the hands sticking out?
    Aren't there any good tutorials?
    I have also searched in https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com but have not found any good tutorials there.
    any help would be great!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    you can delete the faces inside of sleeves, cloths etc if the cloths will always be visible. a little overlap can prevent seeing through the gaps between separate meshes.

you can combine the meshes along with the skin weights. but boolean operation will break the vert order which will break the skin weights. any mesh editing that adds/removes vertices should be done before skin weights.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the jacket something your character can take on and off? If so how do you plan to handle that? 

If you're going to combine the meshes or start deleting faces you'll want to be sure to delete non-deformer history before exporting. 

Actually, on second thought... it's better to copy your meshes, make your mesh edits, delete history, freeze transforms, bind skin with default weights and then copy skin weights from the old meshes and delete the old meshes.