Home Dota 2

I want to start making dota 2 items

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello guys i am a pleb from india.

I want to become a workshop contributor,and am ready to put time,effort and money into it.

However i don't know shit about where should i start from or what i need.

My goal is to be able to create an item all by myself initially and sets later on.

Please help guys.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Hi, first things first - do you have any skills in modeling or drawing? If not, you have a long road ahead of you, and you should start by choosing an appropriate 3d package such as Maya, 3d Studio Max, Modo, or Blender. Personally I use Maya LT available on steam as it's fairly affordable. Blender is free, but typically a bit less used. You can find tutorials on youtube pretty easily in regards to the basics, follow those until you have a decent grasp of how to model simple shapes and build yourself up from there. Post your work on polycount if you get stuck and ask for questions. 

If you are already familiar with 3D art, then I would start with looking at the workshop requirements page, and choosing a hero from the list available: http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements in addition to reading their art guide, texture guide, and shader masks guide they have linked at the top of the page. Start with a single item like a sword and get familiar with the whole process, and if you have questions you can drop them in this thread. There are a few people here that have started 3D for the most part doing only dota stuff, so maybe if they see this thread they will chime in with advice as well.

Good luck!
  • HighGunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TY for the reply.

So all i need is to download blender or maya lt?? Which one do you recommend between the two??

Also,what do i need to learn drawing?? Like graphic tablets,etc.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498 is worth reading

blender if you want something free, maya LT if you want something cheap and more industry standard.

asking what to do to learn drawing is a massive question. some people use a mouse, many people use graphic tablets such as the Intuous tablet from Wacom. You can usually find some between 80-200 dollars used. As for resources, this is probably one of the best places to start, and has everything you would need for a while:  http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Id suggest maya. A ton of resources to learn for it. you will hear blender users sing blenders praises but But I absolutely hate it.

Drawing you will also get 2 conflicting answers. some will say you have to be good at drawing to be a good modeler, others will say no. its a lot easier to come up with an original concept to work on if you can draw it first in my opinion. but if you are not so great at drawing don't let it discourage you. like 3d modeling drawing is all about practice. painting textures though you will probably prefer a graphics tablet
  • HighGunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty for replies.

I haven't checked links yet because i had a huge powercut today,and will check them now.

I tried the mouse once,i can't even draw in paint with it lol.Graphic tablet will be much better if i can use my hands :)