Home Technical Talk

Flat ring and Tiling texture

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
Hi It's been a while since the last time I posted something but here is my issue. I'm trying to model a circling path and texture it with a tiling texture in 3DS max. But I get a lot of deformation in my UV and i'm looking for the best solution. I'm trying to keep the planks parallele.  And I don't have the finest idea how to correct this... Thanks

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Some warping will always happen, and can be helped by adding cuts down the middle, but this looks particularly bad. Are your faces planar, and could you check if there aren't any stray vertices on any of those edges?
    You'll also notice that the warping occurs along the line of the hidden edge (A quad is always just two tris, and your software will internally decide where that line falls), and you can achieve better results if you triangulate and flip the edge depending on the situation.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Best option here is to add more edges.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    There is no easy solution to this as this is how UV projections are supposed to work.
    Straight UV shell > Add loops/splits till the warping isn't noticable - that's what I would do.