Home Technical Talk

3ds max fbx export to marvelous designer is driving me nut!

pixelquaternion
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone,

Before i decide to make a thread i have read a lot on this issue and just got more confuse.

Here the problem :  I have a box and a cylinder and i made a 40 degree rotation on the cylinder x axis then i select both obj and export fbx with animations check and also bake animation, when i import the fbx in MD the cylinder and box are in the correct position but as soon as i play the animation the cylinder offset a little to the left and rotation is on the opposite.

I am aware of the rotate -90 in the x axis and i apply it to my cylinder in edit pivot point mode and put -90 in x axis and the result was again wrong in MD viewport so i tried positive 90 degree and again wrong!

I tried everything i know like applying reset xform, moving both object to 0,0,0 coordinates and nothing fix it, i restart both programs and tries all over again with same result.

The most frustrating part is that i was able to export it correctly once but with a point cache but now when i try to export the point cache MD is giving me this error message : Failed to load file. Difference in vertex count. Please check if the vertex counts of Object and Vertex Cache are same. I really don't understand the vertex count issue since i change absolutely nothing on the model.

Just to add more confusion about my point cache export i did it with a simple rotation transform key and normally point cache is only suppose to work with deformer and not local transform rotation!

I am totally lost with this and i cannot figure a way to fix it yet and the MD forum is totally useless so my last chance before i call 911 is you guy's.

Regards Peter

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried setting the "Up Axis" to "Y-up" inside the FBX export option window?

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Mark,

Yes i did that but now i know why it doesn't work, point cache do not accept transform key like rotation, position or scale it have to be a modifier like morpher or cloth.

I already know i could use bones to drive that cylinder but that was extra work instead of a simple rotation transform.

Using bones all the fbx export objects were in their correct location including pivot points and afterward simply exporting the fbx and i got my animation working in max.

So i wont bother with point cache anymore since it is simply more files and more mouse click for nothing.

Regards Peter