Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AN-94 abakan rifle and complex modeling, I would appreciate some help

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MediumSolid polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I need your help with something. I've recently started modeling on AN-94 Abakan rifle and I've concluded the following:

1. This assault rifle is very complicated which is an understatement.
2. There's almost none high resolution images for detailed high poly modeling.
3. That despite I know a lot of about tools in 3d modeling and I've modeled a handufull weapons, vehicles etc. I still lack the ability to approach complex objects like the AN94 in this example.

So, my question to you guys would be does anyone know where can I find high resolution pictures of this rifle? 
And how do some people manage to make a blueprint of an rifle with very little pictures, how do they do it? If you could point me to a link that explains this or has tutorials of it I would very much appreciate it. My goal here is to learn to model highly detailed hard surface stuff with very little pictures. But my ultimate guess is that people who can model or draw blueprints of highly complex and detailed objects with ease and precision are very talented and experienced and It just can't be learnt.

Just to clarify, I do understand 3d modeling tools, I understand 3d topology very good but I can't wrap my head around the same object when looking at it from different perspectives in pictures. AN-94 Abakan would be clear example of what I mean.

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Just try to use Google Picture Search with Search Options for Bigger Images.
    With Small Pictures you will maymbe miss a lot of details.

I dont know....as i said, search the Web for Pictures and use YouTube Videos. Pause them to catch details.
    Or buy an Airsoft Rifle and compare it with the Real Steel Version.

• RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    It's a PITA to make accurately. If you're aiming to build all the parts to a manufacturing level of detail, best to use CAD software instead. Block out the shapes and forms as simply as you can, so you can adjust to match silhouettes quickly and easily, before committing to higher detail model.

BTW how's your hundred gun model project going?

• MediumSolid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @RedRogueXIII

Thanks for the links, they're very helpful. This is all I need, you've helped me a lot my friend. I've already exhausted all the options on the links you've  provided me with in my previous thread. Ok, ok, enough with the question dogging. My "hundred gun model project" is not going to well I'm nearly there but then again I'm not. Think I'll be done somewhere near the end of February with it. Boy o boy, was I wrong when I started this project, you guys were right, I am going over my head with this. But talk is cheap, I'll post few more pictures for you guys to see how am I doing and where I'm heading with this: 

The ones with wireframe and box selection are not yet finished I have most of my guns like this, the ones that are clearly without any wireframe are high poly with edge loops of course, they're in the minority. I'm using non-destructive modeling technique in this project, it's much easier and cleaner, safer etc. than traditional modeling. And no, I'm not using zbrush or blender sculpting tools at all. This is all because of you 
    REDROGUEXIII, I'm curious to see what you've got in store for us? Show us your progress, my dear friend. 
    Again, I just can't express how much you've helped me @RedRogueXIII, I am eternally grateful for you assistance with my project. Without you this would be much harder and if not impossible.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Those are some awesome models! Really great accuracy and level of detail! Aside from the missing edge loops those are some very complete looking WIP models!

One thing though is that if your intending to bake them down to onto 2048^2 px or smaller maps the edges on some of the unimportant details will get really aliased/ washed out on the bake. On the Remington, the ridges on the magazine caps, and the pads in the buttstock are really aliased even on the high res render. I suggest exaggerating the edge bevels on areas that might get bad aliasing and deviating from accuracy in these areas so that the baked results at low resolution maps still look great.

I hope you aren't pushing yourself so much that you start hurting yourself trying to finish the project, "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."  You are really skilled in modelling, so whenever you get around to texturing it would be great to see the progression and improvement as an artist! I know I have to take this advice seriously as well, as I have got a lot of models, but almost no textured ones.

I'm still chipping away at my list of things to model, but it takes me a week or so to finish a model. I'm collecting renders of all my finished high polygon models here that I've done over the years. I'm currently doing some work for a WW2 mod, Mud and Blood and we're hoping to get a Christmas release out so I hope to have some good stuff to show by then.
  • MediumSolid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually do make my edges a lot smother than they are in real life for map baking purposes and what not. But when I'm rendering high poly weapons for representation purposes I crease those edges to make them sharper and it works fairly good, I'm really satisfied with the results. I also save my non-destructive models with all the modifiers on them so that they can be used as low poly versions, that way I don't have to make the low poly version for my high poly models again, I can just reuse the non-destructive build. 

I'm not pushing my self with this project because I am for accuracy and not the set date, since I came to realization that  It can't be done by me for such a short period of time. Those are some really impressive models you've got there buddy, I've actually seen them some time ago in deviantart. Good luck on your game, It would be nice if you'd make the STG-44, G43, Mosin-Nagant M44 and the SVT-40.