Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minus Improvement Thread

Minus50DKP
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Minus50DKP polycounter lvl 8
Hi

im hopefully going to start posting here to try and get some paint overs, comments and critics

thanks

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Why do you have these frizzled pixelated edges everywhere?  it looks like you painted half of the image in paint. also not digging the black outline around the face. I get that you want to define the edge, but having a darker background could solve that in a much cleaner way.

overall its a pretty good piece, great values and rendering, Im just questioning some really weird decisions you have going on there. on one hand its looking really professional, on the other hand really noobish, like painting on a white canvas and not having any edge definition.

it would be nice knowing a bit more about your thoughts behind this and what you are looking to achieve. 
  • Minus50DKP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Feedback Lotet, this is just the reason i started posting here.

I hadn't paid close enough attention or something wonky in my workflow , that accounts for the pixels. after you pointed this out i saw it in next next piece too. i'll address that and i think you bring up a good point about the background. i really hadn't thought about it i just started painting from a white canvas and this is the result. I was really focusing on value and form in a production style drawing.

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    The pixels really don't bother me, I can imagine a sequence of pictures all in that 'accident' like style.
    The shading seems simple, yet very accurate, where did you learn from?
  • Minus50DKP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

just finished a new portrait i'm happy(ish) with, 
    my aim here was to practice rendering/drawing the face in Photoshop, and have a nice pallet, something i needed to work on
    its painted from ref

my faces look so bad without ref i find it hard to get the lighting right,
    its something that does concern me but i am happy just to practice at the moment with ref.

ref : https://41.media.tumblr.com/ca6696943430e241f03e909a2b1e1efd/tumblr_nukpmzg89v1s0s3nuo4_r1_1280.jpg