Home Dota 2

Curve Retopology

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
I know this is probably along the more basic issues...  but since Dota 2 has such a low poly count its slightly concerning.   I suspect the answer is more geo, but how should I go about improving the jagged'ness of the right side of the horn: 

Seems like the inside edge (left side) bakes out much better than the outside curve.  I suppose the other question is does it really matter all that much given the view of the model in dota? 

Replies

• BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueFlytrap polycounter lvl 9
    What does the smoothing on your lowpoly look like? To me it looks like a projection issue.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now my edges are all soft (working in maya) for testing purposes as I test how it should look.  The mesh seam runs along the inside of the horn (inside edge) and would eventually need to be made hard.    Also I am curious if maybe I need to push out my topology off the horn?   I'm still a little uncertain how the vertices should sit on the model on the jagged side whether they need to be pushed so that the faces of the polygons are above the Decimated high poly surface or below it.  
  • BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was unable to reproduce the exact same jagged edge that your bake has.
    Two similar results were produced though. One with smoothing splits along uv seams (left) and one entirely smoothed (right).

Left displays better when directly facing the side shown. Right appears more jagged but displays better from almost all other angles.

Aside from altering the smoothing depending on what it is, I wouldn't say there's a solution to softening edges other than adding more geometry. You'll only have that option if you have triangles to spare of course.
    Thankfully, as your second question addresses, It really doesn't matter given the size on screen most models are.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmpphh...  Well I have my exported mesh from zbrush, obj.   Took the soft-edged low poly...   Loaded both up.   Are you using a cage? 

Maybe its my baking settings :/ 
  • BlueFlytrap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine were just a quick mock up I did in 3ds max as an example.

No custom cages. Just different smoothing on each lowpoly which give different results.
    Smoothing affects cage projection when baking. Well in Xnormal anyway. Although the smoothing you use to bake and your final lowpoly smoothing don't have to be the same but that's a different topic.

I suppose my point is play around with the smoothing on your lowpoly for a bit and see if you can get results you like.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've given that a try... really all that Maya has is soft or hard edge...   Hmmmm  I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing the issue due to working in Maya LT versus my old version of maya...   I notice when I soften the edge, the viewer in maya has no viewable change...  but when viewed in 3d viewer it seems to be softened. 

It's weird because my angles are almost coming off as dips into the blade where as your curve is cleanly viewed along the length...  Hmmmmm, I'm using a cage.  Any other ideas on why its different would be helpful...  I don't think it's my high poly that's the issue but I can't figure out why its causing it.