Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Fluid/dynamic animation?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
Hello, I'm trying to learn how to create fluid animations as demonstrated by the amazing Stephen Vyas below. I tried searching for "how to create fluid 3D animations" but it's always actual fluid as in liquid. Is there another word for it? I tried dynamic but I get after affects stuff, I'm at a loss.  

Does anyone have any tutorials, tips, tricks or anything to help me learn fluid/dynamic animation? 

I've been learning animation for just over a year now but I still feel like my animations are rigid and stiff, I'm perfectly happy going back to basics but guidance for exactly what to study would be nice, I applied for the Anim school intro to anim which should also help but I did it quite late. 

Thanks for any help

http://zippy.gfycat.com/EverlastingLine … uffer.webm

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Arcs, track a point in one of his loops... like a hand... a foot... head... knee... a sword tip... and see how smooth the arcs are. for example look at the curve in the sword character around 3sec as he  lands on his hands... perfect curve from hand to toe in line with the path through the air.

Timing plays into it too, where things are expected to slow down/speed up; by how much. Bigger shapes move in larger steps, and slower; smaller shapes move in smaller steps and quicker.

I count frames a lot... if I see somebody's animation I really like, I'll frame by frame through actions, and count how many frames between poses, break downs, etc. When in doubt, copy. :D
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Hito I spent some time watching the animation but I couldn't find a way to go through it frame by frame, do you have any video player suggestions? I used to use one recommended to me in ianimate but for the life of me I can't recall the name.

I spent the day learning and playing with arcs, I was linked a website filled with information about arcs and applied it to an animation I created for an assignment.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Keyframe MP is the one you're looking for. I think Quicktime will do frame by frame with left/right arrow keys, with added bonus of light editing (maybe Pro only, not sure)