Home Technical Talk

What texture painting software (2D or 3D) have a brush setting similar to ZBrush "Roll" ?

beaver_knight
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
beaver_knight polycounter lvl 9
Hello. I want to paint a tiling alpha along a curve. I know there is a nice feature in ZBrush called "Roll" that does this task nicely. 

Here is a video of this feature in action, right after 5:55 time mark:  https://youtu.be/CCuN6xT50lo?t=357 

Is there anytexture painting software that have similar feature, that would allow to paint seamless alpha without slapping it along a curve in a ugly way? 

I tryed to do it in photoshop, in "Shape Dynamics" with "Angle Jitter" set to "Direction". It turns brush alpha to the direction you moving. But unlike "Roll" option, alpha is just slapped along a curve, not blending in itself at all.

Replies

• Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    3d Coat has it in the paint tools but not the sculpting tools iirc.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Just do it in Zbrush IMO if you really need that feature. Set the brush of your choice to RGB, increase the roll value, and polypaint away. If you're working on Dota 2 handpainted stuff you should be able to get a plenty high-resolution texture out of that.
  • beaver_knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for advice guys.

I'm not working on dota 2. I want to paint a tiling alpha i made across a persons costume. Alpha is ornamet like, it have interesting pattern in the middle, but tiles perfectly on top and bottom. Having a hard time finding a way to do it.  

I was able to create and paint stictches in the same way. THis was possible bcause stitch alpha is not suppose to connect to itself on top and bottom, it is just a individual shapes, so no problem arise at all. But this time my alpha is actually connects in to itself at top and bottom :) so it shows clearly when alpha is just slapped and repeating ornament is not connected.
  • Internet Friend
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    In 3D-Coat these are called Strips. A great feature is that you can lay down an editable 3D spline that snaps to the surface of your model and then apply the strip along it. It's perfect for things like seams and piping that wrap around a character model. If you use a closed spline it will be seamless all the way around.
  • beaver_knight
    Offline / Send Message
    That's sound really cool, il see if i can try it  :* Thank you Friend!
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    There is much more advanced variant of "roll" or 3d coat "stripes"  

Ancient ,90th  era     Creative House Expression had  and its castrated heir  Microsoft Design 4 still has so called Skeletal brushes .   They are vector based so a stroke can be edited any time  .    Difference with the Roll is that those brushes could have  not only one but  several , up to 10 alternatively /randomly  repeating  rgb  brush  dabs +  separate stroke start and end  dabs .   Which makes every stroke pretty unique.  

Being vector based they are also allow to replace the stroke to  it's normal or roughness variant later in a separate doc    +  deforming along vector curve occurs much more smoothly .

Affinity Design has  a kind of similar stroke too  but with only 3 parts : start / repeating body/ end , no randomly alternating 10 body parts.  
  • beaver_knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, good stuff Gnoop.

Indeed, this Microsoft Design thing have some interesting features: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294949.aspx

Shame non of "big boys" in texture painting have this kind of feature. 

I wonder if i can incorporate this in my texture painting process. Need to think about it  :) Thanks Gnoop!