Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKM - Ultimate Weapon Tutorial

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
rascal polycounter lvl 7
Dear Polycounters,

I wanted to share my biggest personal project so far. :)
The full creation process of a game ready AKM starting with a 3DS Max Introduction, Low and Highpoly modeling, Unwrapping, Baking, Substance Painter Texturing over to making top notch renders in Marmoset Toolbag 2 with Photoshop Post editing. Not a single step left out until we get to the end. Full commentary and no fast forwarding through any part.

If that sounds interesting to you then have a look at the chapter trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MYGCdf9VHs 

For those of you who are interested but are not sure whether they like my teaching style I'd like to encourage you to try my free grenade tutorial which is pretty much a small and compact version of the AKM tutorial.  :)

The Ultimate Weapon Tutorial is available on SteamGumroad and Cubebrush.

Cheers and happy modeling!, 
Tim   

Replies

• Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Tim,

I've recently picked up Substance and came across your grenade tutorial, which I thought was very well done. I picked up your AKM tutorial as soon as it was available!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Going through this now, little expensive but worth it so far
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Going through this now, little expensive but worth it so far
    .....what? 35 bucks for a fully fleshed out tutorial that can save you hours of head scratching and searching for info across the net, not to mention higher quality training than almost any art college. not to mention the free grenade tutorial as well. Seems like a squeal of a deal to me.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    35 bucks is an incredible steal of a deal for the provided content and the hours put into it. Especially compared to something Grant Warwick's mastering hard surface, which costs almost 10 times more and after over a year in progress still isn't done (we haven't had an update in months) and doesn't cover everything.

What's 35 bucks? A small Starbucks these days?
  • rascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rascal polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the interest and feedback everyone! 
    Price is always a delicate subject, I compared it to related tutorials on Gumroad, Udemy and gnomon and I actually undercut a lot of them for the content that's in the package. It would have been nice offering a launch discount on Steam but I didn't want to upset people who just bought it before the steam release and I decided to leave it with the same price for now. 

Either way, thanks for your comments I appreciate it a lot and I'd like to encourage everyone who wants to follow the tutorial(s) to let me know how it goes! The best way to message me is through my Facebook page
    :)  Cheers, Tim !

• Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    I bought it for $35 from Gumroad, so I would have been slightly miffed if it went cheaper on Steam or something, so I'm glad you didn't do that. And while I do feel like it's expensive, the quality easily makes up for that. 

What's next Tim? A vehicle perhaps?
  • rascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rascal polycounter lvl 7
    Glad you picked it up CYPH3R and thanks for liking it! At that point I am not quite sure what to do next. A vehicle could be cool, certainly! I was thinking about making a poll on facebook, maybe have 3 things to pick from and see what everyone thinks is best. Also I didn't have time to play any video games in months now because of all the sparetime tutorial and gun creation work and.. I really wanna play some Fallout haha!
    Either way, I just bought a brand new microphone and there'll be more soon enough!  :smile: 
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    rascal said:
    Glad you picked it up CYPH3R and thanks for liking it! At that point I am not quite sure what to do next. A vehicle could be cool, certainly! I was thinking about making a poll on facebook, maybe have 3 things to pick from and see what everyone thinks is best. Also I didn't have time to play any video games in months now because of all the sparetime tutorial and gun creation work and.. I really wanna play some Fallout haha!
    Either way, I just bought a brand new microphone and there'll be more soon enough!  :smile: 
    Great idea! Well I'm glad you're planning on creating more! Enjoy the downtime ;)
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Your price is great RASCAL. When compared to places like Gnomon this is a steal! The combination of relevancy of making game props and the quality of the tutorial and final result of the actual model and textures makes that price an easy buy. The amount of time it will save people learning these software's and techniques will earn that money back for them in no time at all.
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    rascal said:
    Thanks for the interest and feedback everyone! 
    Price is always a delicate subject, I compared it to related tutorials on Gumroad, Udemy and gnomon and I actually undercut a lot of them for the content that's in the package. It would have been nice offering a launch discount on Steam but I didn't want to upset people who just bought it before the steam release and I decided to leave it with the same price for now. 

Either way, thanks for your comments I appreciate it a lot and I'd like to encourage everyone who wants to follow the tutorial(s) to let me know how it goes! The best way to message me is through my Facebook page:)  Cheers, Tim !

Think its a great deal at a great price, especially for the work and detail you put in to a 17+ hours worth of tutorial.

I checked out your grenade tutorial and it has helped me greatly with my current substance painter project.  I will be picking up your AK tutorial as soon as possible.  Thanks for sharing your techniques!
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    You got a customer in me already just from the video preview! Although there are lots of free tuts this seems to offer a lot more all in one space and very well made. As the others have said 35$ seems like a steal compared to what other professional teaching sites sell theirs for! And I'm glad that it is in 3ds Max as that is my preferred software. I will definitely let you know how it goes with this!

Quick edit: Steam says its only available through streaming, is it possible to save for offline viewing or is this only a steam thing and i should buy it from the other 2 websites instead? Just not a fan of streaming and buffering... 
  • rascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rascal polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! I really appreciate it a lot and it sure is motivating to carry on with future projects!!  :)
     Icewolf you bring up a very good question.. I also don't understand why they don't make it downloadable. Maybe they want to make it harder for the pirates but I am sure that won't stop them. Gumroad allows you to stream AND download so the logical answer would be to go there and get it but of course I understand that people would also like to have it added to Steam.. because Steam!  

I will talk to Valve tomorrow and ask if they ever plan to make it downloadable, they are hands down absolutely awesome with the support and I am sure other Gumroad tutors have the same problem (I think every single tutorial on Steam at the moment is from Gumroad folks)

For the time being I thought of a (hopefully temporary) solution.. you buy it on Steam (if you want) and then you send me your steam profile to my email at chamferzone@outlook.com so I can confirm you have it in your library and I will then unlock your e-mail adress for my google drive where you can download the full package. Really the only solution I see at the moment. Just bare with me if you don't immediately get a reply because of .. timezones and stuff =)  
    I will get back to you as soon as possible though! 

• IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    That is really awesome of you for your support in that way! I may just purchase it through Gumroad just to save you the headache though lol. Steam is just really handy lately and i already have an account and payment information on it so i was just being lazy. But now you have also opened my eyes to other great websites as well! If i do decide to do the steam route i'll let you know!
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    Why do they say it's free and then ask for a fair price?!
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Aye these are cool, downloaded the free ones and I believe getting that full package would be awesome.!!

@spencer just type 0 for free ones or you can donate always ;) just a option.  
  • [Ste Pie]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Ste Pie] polycounter lvl 2
    Amazing stuff Tim, loved the grenade tutorial and with Maya as my primary software the tutorial was still very easy to follow and I learnt a lot from it. Bought the AKM as soon as it was available. Great work and I hope to see more tutorials from you in the future.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I just want to chip in and support Rascal here with his choice of price. $35 dollars for a 17 hour top quality tutorial is amazing. To further break it down, that turns out to be roughly 2$ per hour. To further add to this, the content of the tutorial is being taught by someone with plenty of experience. He's also giving for free the grenade tutorial if you are unsure!

On a side note, we're all artists here and even when an artist gives something like a tutorial away for free it's always nice to support each other with a few dollars, seems fair given all the effort that goes into making them! :)

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Even better is the fact the tutorial is segmented (on gumroad), so if you're only interested in the Substance Painter and Marmoset parts for example, then you can purchase just them
    Much better than searching for e.g. Marvelous Designer tutorials and the only good ones have rendering/modeling/scene composition bundled in, raising the price
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Why do they say it's free and then ask for a fair price?!
    If it is a free tutorial, the "fair price" is whatever you want. You can put $0 and still get it, or you can put in more to donate to the artist. 

It's a nice way to suppose the artists. 
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    35 bucks is an incredible steal of a deal for the provided content and the hours put into it. Especially compared to something Grant Warwick's mastering hard surface, which costs almost 10 times more and after over a year in progress still isn't done (we haven't had an update in months) and doesn't cover everything.

What's 35 bucks? A small Starbucks these days?
    I agree which is why I bought it. I was just making the observation compared to what I was use to on gumroad 35 surprised me a tad but the content is easily worth it
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    This looks incredible. Not sure why anyone would pass up the opportunity for $35.

Can't wait to get home, download and get stuck in. Thanks for taking the time to create this Rascal. As has been said previously, we're all 3D artists and supporting each other and the efforts people put into things like this should be encouraged!

The tutorial may be roughly $2 per hour of tuition, but I will bet it took plenty more hours than that overall!

Good job sir.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    If anyone is contemplating about jumping on this for the price, think about this, you're getting more out of this (with an artist who's currently in the industry), than a university that's charging two grand for a class, with someone who hasn't been in the industry for 5+ years.  Awesome tutorial man!
  • rascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rascal polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the support guys! I really appreciate it and I noticed a heavy spike in the downloads for the grenade on Gumroad which is really awesome! I am currently working on releasing the grenade tutorial on steam as well! :smiley: It will be the first free tutorial on there (unless someone releases one before me) and I am very excited about that release. Thanks, Tim