Home Unreal Engine

Help - Orthographic Camera In 3D Scene

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jtheme polycounter lvl 3
I currently have an orthographic camera in a 3d orientation in my scene.  Trying to get an old jrpg look in a 3d space.  

My camera's setup is as follows

My problem is:
I only am only able to see shadows from point lights.  I have a time of day system so I am using a dynamic Directional Light, and am unable to see the shadows produced by it.

In game images

In engine image

Is there any way of getting my orthographic camera to show those shadows?
Or does anyone have any ideas how I can get a perspective camera to work.  For I've tried setting my Field of View down really small to give the orthographic look.  But I have to move it so far from the player shadows won't appear.

Replies

• Jtheme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jtheme polycounter lvl 3
    Update - I figured out a solution.  It isn't exactly what I wanted to do but it is going to work out pretty well!

What I had to do was switch my camera to a perspective Projection Mode
    and make my Field of View to 15 (It was the lowest I could do)

Then I moved my Spring Arm Target Arm Length to 15000.0
    I also had to change some command line values

r.Shadow.FadeResolution - controls how big the light has to be on the screen before it *starts* to fade out.
    - Default Value: 64
    - Can lower this value to keep shadows from fading out at further distances

r.Shadow.MinResolution - controls how big the light has to be on the screen before it *finishes* fading out, at which point it no longer has cost.
    - Default Value: 32
    - Lower values seem to increase shadow visibility.

r.Shadow.TexelsPerPixel - Causes a higher resolution to be assigned and then it should fade out less aggressively
    - Default Value: 1.27324
    - Can increase this value to improve shadow rendering visibility & quality

r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold
    - Default Value: 0.03
    - A lower value of 0.02 or 0.01 greatly increases shadow visibility at far camera distances (seems to have the most impact of all the console commands).
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for posting this.. I've been having a similar issue as I need to create an overhead map for my 4k map and the shadows weren't showing up from my directional light. Will try these!