Home Technical Talk

3DSMax - Imported OBJ has creases/seams

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Utility polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycounters,

I tried searching but couldn't find a similar thread on my issue. Basically, I uv'ed my model in uvLayout and re-imported it as an OBJ - but now I have this ugly seam/normal issue + weird banding combo:

I'm not sure what to do, and feel like a stupid n00b again (it's been a long day). I've tried making the faces on the flat side all planar, connecting different verts (all that does is let me choose which side to have a crease/seam appear on), flipping normals, playing with smoothing groups, changing import settings- I'm kind of stumped. I bet it's something really simple too. If anyone has insight into this, I'd SUPER appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    There's some strange looking geometry on the top of the window, check for non-manifold geometry and you might want to put an edit normals modifier on and upload a picture of them vertex normals or even the .obj itself.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If you don't have duplicate verts or other issues, then just add a Turn To Poly or Edit Poly modifier to reset the vertex normals. Let us know if that works.
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for both of your replies. I checked (as far as I can tell) for non-manifold geo, duplicated verts, etc, and the mesh seems clean (kind of wish Max had a cleanup tool similar to Maya to check). I also tried a Turn to Poly, Edit Poly, and Edit Normals (to try to reset them) to no avail. Here's the obj: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oesopwspgb291pq/windowsMessed1.obj?dl=0

Here's a screenshot of them vertex normals:
    IMO the vertex normals look like they're pointing as they should. I'm getting kinda frustrated since this is a pretty simple mesh. Hnnnnnnngghhhh.gif

• Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update- welp, seems like I fixed it... All the things suggested didn't seem to work for me- until I tried breaking the normals with Edit Normal (making sure my mesh was set to Editable Mesh). I'm not 100% sure what I did, or if it's 'right', but so far everything LOOKS okay. Check it out:

• Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heads up - It happened again, but it seems like it was an import settings issue. For anyone curious, you can fiddle with the normal settings for OBJs - I used auto, but YMMV.