Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: 3DO 2.0 uses all memory and freezes the computer

pseudonym
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
pseudonym polycounter lvl 7
Hi, I just upgraded to Suite 2.0. NDO and DDO seem to work, but when I start 3DO, it will get stuck initializing at 80% and freeze shortly after. I have changed scratch disk of Photoshop and reduced Undo states to 3. But I can see in the Task Manager that 3DO uses absurd amount of memory that my computer can't handle (jumps from 2 GB to full 6 GB). Mind you it's only a laptop, but it used to run 1.8 version just fine. I don't know what else to do to fix this.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I've forwarded this on to our internal bug tracker. Hoping to get a resolution for you soon! Sorry about all of the trouble! :smile: 
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    If you export your obj with Triangulate active, does this problem still occur?
  • pseudonym
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I loaded triangulated obj mesh in DDO and tried to create a new project, but it froze while baking maps and opening 3DO :(
  • pseudonym
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I reinstalled 2.0.1 today and let the programs run longer without terminating them. 3DO still takes too large chunk of memory, but after 20 minutes it managed to open the window while not responding and crashed then. I uploaded the crash report here if you want to take a look https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f8nlms8ie99da1/2015-11-30_224746.rar?dl=0 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Thanks again! I've updated our tracker with your new information.
  • davaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I have the same issues with 3do on my laptop. Crashed with the initial release and initializing forever after the update 2.01.
    I know i do not have a high end laptop I5 4GB mem and intel HD 4000 graphis but i have been running suite 1.8 (PS CC) and 3ds max at the same time (both applications running) without any issues. Could work with it smoothly. Now i cannot even open the 3do window without any project loaded up. Ndo and Ddo work fine but 3Do just does not work anymore. Why i can run all these high end applications like suite 1.8, 3dsmax and substance painter etc. without any issues and cannot open an empty 3do window with suite 2.0? I have started this discussion on facebook support as well and even someone else with 8GB mem reported the same. I cannot imagine you need at least 16GB of mem to just open an empty 3do window or does it? 

• pseudonym
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think integrated intel HD graphics is part of the problem. I switched GPU to NVIDIA's and got it working. 3DO opens without consuming too much memory initially and nothing crashes. But the program still runs extremely slow at times, and Painting is nearly impossible. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The Suite definitely needs a dedicated GPU - it's not built for baseline integrated graphics, unfortunately. System requirements are CS6+ recommended, minimum 8GB of RAM and a decent dedicated GPU or a really high-end integrated GPU. GTX 680M or above as a starting point.

If you would like to join us at Quixel Live Support it may be something we can work out with the development team! :smile: 
  • davaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

would i be allowed to use suite 1.8 on my laptop with a 2.0 license? Especially if 2.0 becomes backwards compatible?

1.8 users have free upgrade to 2.0 so they could still run 1.8 as well but how about 2.0 owners only? Would be great if i could do some work still with my laptop and 1.8 instead. I will test 2.0 on my desktop as soon as i'm back from businestrip.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That's a great question - unfortunately, we've upgraded our customers from 1.8 to Suite 2.0 because of the instability of 1.8 and the general lack of features compared to Suite 2. If you still have an active 1.8 license, you are of course welcome to use it! If there's anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. I do apologize for the inconvenience. :smile: 
  • davaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's my question, i only own a 2.0 license which will probably be no problem to run on my desktop. However because i always like to do some (simple) work on my laptop when traveling i would like to be able to run 1.8 instead because that one runs without any issues on my laptop. As mentioned i only own a 2.0 license so i wonder if this license will also allow me to use 1.8. Once 2.0 is backwards compatible i could still use 1.8 on my laptop instead if needed. As of now 1.8 users have been upgraded to 2.0 and could still use 1.8 as well, so how about 2.0 license owners, can they also run 1.8?

Thanks.