Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

primnull werks

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
primnull polycounter lvl 5
Edit: i just closed firefox after typing my post before submitting it so i cried for 10 seconds but ok here goes again...

working with xnormal, maya, photoshop, ddo and ndo2 to create a good low poly and textured, normal mapped knife. i have modeled low and high and unwrapped low. Baking the normal in xnormal at the moment but doesn't look so good even after I bumped the "front max ray distance" and "rear max ray distance" both to 50, as suggested on eat3d after I had some problems and that was suggested. There are a lot of options in xnormal, not sure which ones to play with? I read adjusting mesh size in the 3d app, maya, could for some reason, help xnormal find all the little edges and tight places. Might try that next?

here are some pics of what i mentioned above,

part of my highpoly UC DIVE text is showing up in xnormal but it's skewed?? Does how i laid out my uv snapshot effect making normals in xnormal?? Trying to understand how all the programs communicate with each other, you know?

At the moment watching 2 hr video "complete dDo breakdown with Remington chainsaw." It's way beyond my meager goals, but future learning is good and helps me for when I move on to more complicated things. Just trying to get the basics down at the moment. Trying to follow the author on the 3:54 minute mark where he's importing meshes into xnormal.

this is going to be a long-running thread

Replies

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok well messed around with some settings and looks actually like a normal map but my edges are very wobbly and jaggy. I cranked AA to 4x, which is max so it's not that. My edge padding is 1, which is the thing that makes it not bleed so much (technical term?). Ideas?

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and I'm taking a break for now... not sure if maybe my highpoly isn't smooth enough or I need less 90* hard edges on my lowpoly. normal looks god-awful on the low but take a look

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Good god, those are some gnarly results, I really don't know how you have done this. I'll just give you a list of what might be wrong:
    1. Are the normals backwards?
    2. Are you using a cage?
    3. Are you using the normal maps as bump or normal?
    4. Have you made support loops?
    5. Does the HP look correct when you smooth it?

Most of these things should be easy enough to understand if you just google them so I wont give you a breakdown of how to do them, but my best guess is that the normals are backwards.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    In general you want to align your UVs at right angles rather at that 45 degree angle you have now even if it uses more space, as it's way easier to make changes if needed to the normal map (though a good starting bake is the priority)
    Maxilator brought up the main potential issues, do you understand how smoothing groups on the LP affect the bake? With blades you have to be careful with your cage since the mesh gets really thin.

I think the "complete dDo breakdown with chainsaw" tutorial might not be the most suited to your current needs (a focus on texturing, when I think you need a good tutorial on modeling/baking.) Worry about the bake for now but it looks like your HP might have a few sharp edges. In fact I would go off and do some general bake tests with floaters, 90 degree geometry and the like. Once you can bake a cube with no seams, move on to baking a more complex shape plus floaters, and then come back to the knife. Keep practicing, fill out your knowledge and you'll nail it
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I can check in uv editor if normal are flipped wrong way. I do know how to change them so that's a plus.
    Using xnormal for all my baking and only maya's default uv editor to arrange and unfold, sew and flip my uvs. Is that an ok process? Maya's uv editor is pretty limited in my opinion. Plus all my tutorials suggest xnormal. I will post later today changes and here's a shot of my unchanged LP and HP versions no wires,

err something weird happened when i opened my file. The models are flickery?? I didn't know what it was so I applied a new Blinn and copy pasted them to a new scene but still it transferred over. No clue what that is. Thought maybe my HP, where it's the worst, was duplicated and I checked and it wasn't. This is like one bad mistake after another. Thinking of starting from scratch with a new LP and HP.

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attached RAR of my Low and High models if anyone wants to examine them. Thank you for suggestions so far, completely helpful
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, so for one thing your models are off in a crazy location in 3d space. Model at world 0 where possible.
    The high isn't occupying the same space as the low. You want them sitting on top of each other.
    I'm not sure what units you are modelling in but my Maya default is cm and these things came in massive.

All I did was recenter the meshes, scale them to a more reasonable size, align the high and low and bake. It worked a lot better. I'll attach the new files so you can have a look.

There are still some issues that are coming from the low not having enough geometry to support the bake.
    Maybe one of the other guys can point you to some good info on hard surface modelling as I am a bit of a noob at it.

I'd start here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow a lot to read there jacob thanks.
    I will look at the zip in there.
    So how can I tell in the future how many polies the LP should have in order to support the HPs normal? Do you know what I mean?
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ok so i centered both models but not sure how that helps... is it helpful for xnormal somehow? I mean it's just reading the lp.object and the hp.object but the placement of the models matter??

also, someone in the way u working on thread suggested i try tangent space normals instead of bump and things look a little better. But I'm thinking the holes in the lp handle need a few more edges. agree?

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    Man, you just gotta watch some tuts and have patience. Start from step one, and check out the polycount wiki, like Jacob said.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok yeah reading through the ones that work and aren't too outdated. better to have too much info than not enough...

but i started something a little simpler than the knife, a high poly box with details, cuts, and wires and then my lower poly version and used xnormal and various export options. Pretty sure my maya uv unwrap is messed up but when i sewed edges they were right next to each other and then i flattened the uvs so they weren't squiggly..

uv set

and now I'm trying to figure out what the padding does. this guy here says it's about limiting distortion in the edges,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_3URQjYxs

so i did a test with padding different levels and i can see the difference comparing the two uvs, attached, but when i applied one padding level uv to BOX 1 it looked good. Applying an elevated level to another box with the other normal map version, I can't see a difference. Am I supposed to be able to see a difference on the normal map? Or is it just something the map does to the object... stretching the normal properly on the object in a specific way?

uv set 2, box on the Left, above

uv set 2, box on the RIGHT, above

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now I played with xnormal's 3d viewer and adjusted the cage and it's obviously larger and should catch all the detail of the highpoly. Another bake and I applied bake #3 with the cage and I can't see any difference at all. A shot of my HP and LP next to each other, no wires and wires for laughs. One side which has the little vertical pieces, that detail doesn't show up at all on the normal which I can't explain.

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok good, you're making progress. Here's the jist of padding - when you get further away from a prop in some engines, the texture (e.g. 2048²) will mipmap or "mip" down to 1024², 512², 256² etc. to save memory since you can't tell the difference between a 2k and a 256 texture at a certain distance (which of course depends on the engine/resolution, but don't worry about that stuff). Padding, since the texture blurs when mipping, ensures that there are pixels around to sample outside of the uv islands, so you don't get texture bleeding. The conventional padding amount for 2k textures is 16. Of course I could have saved myself from typing all that out by linking the wiki  :( (more on padding)

Now to bake without seams; the hard and fast rule is, when you get a 90 degree angle, you should split the uv, and for every hard edge, you must have a UV split. HOWEVER, you can still have UV splits on 'soft' or smoothed edges. Again, the wiki will help to clarify things here

Some nice videos;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGszEIT4Kww&ab_channel=MichaelHosticka
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXTyOOnBZQ&ab_channel=handplane3d
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6Yu-nTbUU

So to sum up, in order to bake without those seams, you have to first put every face of that cube on a separate smoothing group, and then split each hard edge (in this case all edges) and move each uv island away from each other in the uv map (to create space for the padding). You were getting seams because when padding was applied to your islands, there was no room for more pixels to emerge because your islands were stitched when they shouldn't be, due to the hard edge rule. Make sure you fully understand these rules before you continue with more complicated objects.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all faces seperate as their own shells? I don't sew any of them together?
    Also, mips sound like stages of LOD1, LOD2, etc, or am I getting that wrong?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    primnull said:
    all faces seperate as their own shells? I don't sew any of them together?
    Also, mips sound like stages of LOD1, LOD2, etc, or am I getting that wrong?
    If you have hard edges you need uvsplits, if you don't want the seam at a place, don't place hard edges.

now the next thing, if you want to show your lowpoly in maya, nothing bakes better for maya than maya itself.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, one shell for each face in this case. Level Of Detail is a different thing, that refers to models being swapped out with similar silhouette but lower poly models as the camera gets further away. You're right in that LOD and Mipmaps are similar in their intended function
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Shinigami said:
    ok so i noticed 2 things. Your topology is bad af. Your highpoly is too blobby and  messy ( not really defined.)
    See what your faces are doing! the topology is too weirdly angled. The frame on the holes is not modeled so it looks a bit odd too. More sides on cylinder. Define the HP better.

Heres my go

yep removing the centerline between the hole will clean that up a lot and will also save you some tris.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that's a lot better.
    I'll try again with the knife.
    I've done baking with maya normals inside of maya itself but it crashes a lot, hence why I use xnormal but i'll try again
    thank you so much mr. unger
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i triangulated my models more would that help give the normal more geometry to spread out and display properly? thinking of it like this example I found,
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/editor/la/l666u3wktcaa.png
  • Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Your best bet at this point is to really focus on the fundamentals of baking. Read into what Normal maps are and how they work. You could also do with just focusing on Highpoly practices. Learn about smoothing groups, edge loops, turbosmooth and so on. Things like edge padding or ray casting mean nothing if you highpoly is a mess. Here's a good video that covers some subdivision topics nicely
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_S1INdEmdI
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey so i've made a ton of progress on uvs... made a few thing on P3d
    ninja star
    http://p3d.in/hGBzq
    throwing knife
    http://p3d.in/qQEbE

anyway, I don't know if I asked this before but how should I be able to tell of my checker pattern looks dense enough? I mean should I try to fit in one or two checkers inside of one FACE or what? Here's a knife I made and am trying different projection methods to unwrap it, also following a DigitalTutors Maya UV tutorial series

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job on making some solid progress. The visual size of the checkers is completely arbitrary, for example in 3ds max you can choose how much the checkers tile;

Both cubes are UV'd the exact same, they just have differently tiling materials. What DOES matter however, is the size of the checkers in relation to one another. Looking at your knife, the checkers are bigger on the blade than on the handle, which means the blade will have LESS texel density. You are allocating too much space to the handle in comparison to the blade. Ideally and as a general starting rule, you want the checkers all over your model to be the same size, and to make the UV islands as big inside the UV space as you can (while taking padding into account). Later on, you'll find there are some neat optimisation techniques you can do, e.g. allocating less UV space to faces that aren't seen so often, like on the bottom of props or faces that are mostly facing away from the player. Keep at it
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thank you. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not but I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before. I've learned more in the past 2 weeks then in the past 3 years. Something in my head just clicked... I tend to over-complicate things and I think I was doing that here in UV land as well.

Doing small projects for work on my skills.
    Just did a flash hider object
    http://p3d.in/vwTvE

• Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Someone already told you this most likely but remember, “If it’s a hard edge, put a seam on it.” It looks like's your in max to.  Going to recommend you stop by Arrimus's  YT page. Also here is some quality normal map info. Good luck in your journey 
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arrimus is fun to watch but I don't use 3dsmax except for exporting my models to .3ds
    But that normal map guide looks good thanks
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit nevermind
    got my basher axe in ddo and did some work
    my AO has some pretty bad lines on it even though I maxed out fill seams option in MentalRay baker. I'm guessing I should fix them by hand in photoshop?

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vending machine for fun and practice