Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Quixel 2.0 2 issues (Unity5 roughness, old materials and scale)

Hey. Thanks for the cool program. I've been learning the workflow over the past week and we are about to use it on a game as one of our main texturing applications. I've just downloaded 2.0 and am checking it out. I created ton of materials for 1.8 today, but it seems I can't use them with 2.0. They don't show in the selection.

I'm currently using PS 2014 cc as I read of some issues with Unity metallic workflow and 2015 cc in 1.8.

In 2.0 the Unity metalness workflow has the roughness (smoothness in Unity) inverted. Black is rough and white is smooth.

Further, when making a new material the 3DO2 window pops up and has post process checked which seems to be a quite slow. It's easy enough to un-check but for quickly loading materials seems unnecessary.

The Scale on 1.8 and 2.0 seems to have an issue. On 1.8 (Unity 5 metalness workflow) I would scale down to -3 for instance, but the texture would actually become blurry and scale up (custom material with 512 maps). It would change to 3 instead of -3 and I would have to move the intensity slider in order for it to adjust to the size. This would have to be done for every map in the material ie AO, Normal, Gloss, Specular (-3, changes to 3, change -3 again, adjust intensity slider for 3 to 6 maps).

Same happens in 2.0 (see attached images) only now the intensity slider does nothing.

(I've just solved it. It only happens when typing the numbers in the scale box and hitting enter. Moving the slider re-sizes the material as normal "whew")

Thanks for the hard work. Will let you know if anything else pops up. Now on to texture some stuff.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey JustB!

1.8 materials are *not* compatible with 2.0 yet - but will be soon! We're getting the converter back into the program ASAP. It was in one of the last beta updates, but got removed before release due to unexpected bugs.

Are you seeing the inverted roughness inside of Photoshop or with your exported maps? If it's inside Photoshop, that's normal. The map exporter will fix it for your chosen calibration profile. :smile:

Have you joined the Facebook Quixel Tools Group? Give it a shot and post these issues, our programmers will find them and immediately get to work! :smile:
  • Justb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SYNAESTHESIA. Thanks for the reply. I've been using 1.8 for the last week or so. The inverted roughness is showing exported.

Will join the Facebook group and post there. :)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Don't hesitate to tag me on Facebook if you need assistance with anything! :smile: