Home Technical Talk

Substance with Mudbox and Blender or 3D Coat? Or something else?

Kanyl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Kanyl polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone!

I am a student trying to make my portfolio ready for work/education, doing both 2D and 3D. Currently there is a good Black Friday deal on Substance Indie Pack on Steam, that I am tempted to buy. I also know it is a highly recommended program to use in the buisness, which makes me think what I should buy and not buy as a poor student. I want to learn the 3D softwares that is the most important in the game industry (perhaps other industries also?), but still be able to do great stuff for my portfolio without having to spend too much money! I would like to pick both Maya and Zbrush, but that kind of money is something I don't have!

So, should I get Substance Indie Pack and Mudbox Subscription (compensation for the 3D Coat features)? Or perhaps go with 3D Coat even if it's not that "famous"? Or how should I tackle this huge problem between money, software and recommended software knowledge?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Mudbox can do alot, been using it for years; Photoshop knowledge is essential, more then just basic. Get acquainted with Mudbox first.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Hey there, if you are a student, there are tons of options to use. I would really recommend picking up maya LT, or just use the free student version. Maya is pretty much a must in every studio i have worked. for hi poly, either mudbox or zbrush will work, but if you are worried about the money, try sculptris first, its free and it will give you a good understanding of sculpting.

Substance I use everyday, and i can say that without it, i would spend waaaay more time texturing and less time creating more assets.