Home General Discussion

Need help understanding a simple concept related to OBJ and MTL files.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi all,

Please help me with the following. I really need clarity on the following.

Assume: There is an obj file with an mtl file, with only  material, that material refers to an unwrapped UV texture for the model. 
Here is an example of Mr. Sub Zero and his unwrapped UV.

Now I want to identify the textures that relate to the feet, hands, face etc.

Q1. Is that information store-able inside the .obj file ? Like as a node name or something where you tag parts of the texture to some vertices? I know you can insert UV cord but that doesnt differentiate hands/face etc. 

Q2. Is it correct : If no node information is stored in the obj, there is no way to segment which texture belongs to which part, since they are all texture mapped 1 -to - 1 from the obj to said texture using UV

Q3: Lets say I'm making a model from scratch, what is the best way to identify face sub- texture, hand sub-texture etc, so i can modify them my own program, like ,can that information be stored in the .obj somewhere. This is what i want to write in my own program
model.setTexture("face" , Coolr.blue);
so now the entire face is blue, since i wrote the blue color in those specific pixels where face is mapped.

Q4. Is my use of OBJ format limiting me in any way, is there a better format you recommend , and why ?

Thanks a lot..... to the super awesome people who helps me out.