Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2001: A Space Odyssey - Discovery Centrifuge UE4

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Akskii polycounter lvl 4
So this is one of my first posts of my work on  polycount :D
This is for a uni project to recreate a room/environment from a movie and I chose the centrifuge from 2001: A Space Odyssey 

crit is welcome!

Replies

• lophead25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lophead25 polycounter lvl 10
    oof nicee, a classic film, how did you go about texturing the scene, and how did you model in a cylindrical method. Must of been a struggle :/
  • Akskii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akskii polycounter lvl 4
    lophead25 said:
    oof nicee, a classic film, how did you go about texturing the scene, and how did you model in a cylindrical method. Must of been a struggle :/
    Thanks :D I textured most of the scene in Substance Designer (it was my first time using it to author complete materials). For the flat coloured sections in the scene I created a tileable roughness map as well as a tileable leather normal map (both in designer) then in UE4 I made an "all purpose Shader" so I could make all the materials I needed with instances.

for the modelling part, I had to try and figure out how many floor tiles there were, width ways and length ways. from that I figured out where to place the individual modules in the scene :D I also used a lot of instancing to help me with the cylindrical modeling. You just have to be quite clinical with the way you model when it comes to modeling some shapes along the curvature of the cylinder.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Check your lighting and materials, I see a lot of greys in these screenshots that I don't remember seeing in the film!  Also: FUCK YEAH 2001 was awesome, I want to see more of this!
  • Akskii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akskii polycounter lvl 4
    marks said:
    Check your lighting and materials, I see a lot of greys in these screenshots that I don't remember seeing in the film!  Also: FUCK YEAH 2001 was awesome, I want to see more of this!
    Thanks for the feedback :D though I'm finding it hard to see what you mean by the greys. Are the floor tiles maybe a bit too contrasty in the variations? 

here are a few references I used from the film

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far! I however do have a critique for you. I was unable to get this exactly where I wanted it but I still feel the vibe of what I meant was expressed.

I increased the influence of the blue on the scene, evened the shading on the floor a bit more, attempted to make the scene slightly lit  in a yellowish white colour (the film reference shows this better than I can.) I also removed some of the magenta panel colour because this film is fairly locked down in it's colour palate. But again my Photoshop edit does not get the influence of the blue and the yellowish white on the scene and the original reference emphasises this more.

Hope this helps!
  • hyperactive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there ! 

What a great model. I'm doing a project at the moment where I need this part of the ship, do you have the asset to download anywhere ? I really like it a lot.

Thanks !
    Kyle
  • Akskii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akskii polycounter lvl 4
    Robeomega said:
    Looking good so far! I however do have a critique for you. I was unable to get this exactly where I wanted it but I still feel the vibe of what I meant was expressed.

I increased the influence of the blue on the scene, evened the shading on the floor a bit more, attempted to make the scene slightly lit  in a yellowish white colour (the film reference shows this better than I can.) I also removed some of the magenta panel colour because this film is fairly locked down in it's colour palate. But again my Photoshop edit does not get the influence of the blue and the yellowish white on the scene and the original reference emphasises this more.

Hope this helps!
    I apologise for the suuper late reply!
    But thank you so much for the crit, and I definitely get what you mean. The scene overall could do with a bunch of improvement, as this was made awhile ago and I have learned so much more since then. However I cannot guarantee that I'll come back to this as environment art is not my focus, it was definitely a good exercise in modeling, texturing and lighting though.