Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Abandoned House

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
st0kje polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone,

My first idea was to make an abandoned school building but since that would be a too big a project to begin with, I thought it would be better to take a step back and start smaller :smile: . So my plan now is to make an abandoned house. My goal is to have a complete abandoned building which a person can walk through with the third person controller in UE4. Biggest game reference is the Last of us.

Right now everything is in the blockout phase, I'm mostly now trying to get the scale right of the rooms.
- Living room area

- Kitchen

- Hallway on the second floor

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    So after a while of not able to work on this project, I've got some more time to make progress :smiley: 

I mainly worked on the floor and ceiling texture, floor and wall layering, and some more assets to fill up the scene.
    I also removed the lights I had in the scene because it is not very logical to have working lights in an abandoned house. In addition, I added a big mysterious hole in the wall to get some more natural light in the room.

Here are some pics.

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That's a nice start, keep it going.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    How long has it been abandoned? The ceiling texture looks really nice, but right now that floor is reading more as that wall came down a week ago versus quite awhile ago. As in, that floor is pretty clean looking next to the dirt splotches. I might suggest adding a layer of dust ontop of the floor as another layer along with the dirt, a lot more dust and particles are bound to collect with an opening that size to the outside. Water damage also might be something to think about as another layer to add to your visual language in the scene.

This may or may not be too abandoned/kind of crazy dirty for what you might be going for but maybe it'll help a bit in that it demonstrates how the dust collects on the wood, making the individual strips more obscured, with the water damage actually keeping some of the wood more exposed while destroying it at the same time. Could be fun to play with that in the roughness map!

If you're looking for more abandoned and depressing images of houses and apartments, feel free to google detroit :(

Keep it up!
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    Hello everyone, again a long time since I last posted something here. I got a few free weeks in which I hope to make some good progress on this project.

I started by working on the wallpaper. I also redid the lighting with the new Lightmass portals in UE4.11 which gave me much more natural light, since I didn't need the spotlights to get enough light into the scene.

How long has it been abandoned? The ceiling texture looks really nice, but right now that floor is reading more as that wall came down a week ago versus quite awhile ago. As in, that floor is pretty clean looking next to the dirt splotches. I might suggest adding a layer of dust ontop of the floor as another layer along with the dirt, a lot more dust and particles are bound to collect with an opening that size to the outside. Water damage also might be something to think about as another layer to add to your visual language in the scene.

This may or may not be too abandoned/kind of crazy dirty for what you might be going for but maybe it'll help a bit in that it demonstrates how the dust collects on the wood, making the individual strips more obscured, with the water damage actually keeping some of the wood more exposed while destroying it at the same time. Could be fun to play with that in the roughness map!

If you're looking for more abandoned and depressing images of houses and apartments, feel free to google detroit :(

Keep it up!
    Thanks for the feedback! I would say something like 10/20 years, I will do an iteration on the floor texture soon as I'm not that happy with it right now. I will definitely take your suggestion into the next iteration :)

Next up is the concrete!
    C&C are more than welcome!
  • dylantc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dylantc polycounter lvl 6
    I think it could be interesting to have some foliage growing into the building if it has been abandoned for that long and maybe some piles of dried leaves that could have blown in through the hole in the wall. It also might help to think about the story behind this house, such as why it was abandoned and what has happened in it since it was abandoned. Maybe there could be graffiti on the walls from previous visitors, or maybe everything has remained untouched since the original owners left. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    Worked on the stairs, grass, dirt, brick wall, concrete wall.

I remade the laminate in substance, I'm still planning on creating a dirt variant for the laminate as Deathstick mentioned.

dylantc said:
    I think it could be interesting to have some foliage growing into the building if it has been abandoned for that long and maybe some piles of dried leaves that could have blown in through the hole in the wall. It also might help to think about the story behind this house, such as why it was abandoned and what has happened in it since it was abandoned. Maybe there could be graffiti on the walls from previous visitors, or maybe everything has remained untouched since the original owners left. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    Yes indeed! Im planning on creating some more plants/vines before the next update to overgrow this place a bit :smiley: My original plan was to make it abandoned as if the owners left it in a hurry because of a certain event, though I do think its a nice idea to give some indication that strangers have visited it somewhere in the mean time.

Hope you enjoy!
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry to bump such an old post, but I just wanted to show my end result. I wanted to update this more regularly but failed to do so, it's something I hope to get better with in my future projects.

Here are some final shots, Hope you like it! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK3HJYOX6fM
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    wow! Looks really nice :)
    goo job!
  • bigodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bigodon polycounter lvl 8
    the last of us feel
    i loved
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, turned out beautiful. I had seen this on Artstation before I went thought the thread, it was about half way through I realized what it was going to turn into. Great job! 
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
  • Zubnero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zubnero polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job, turned out great it's been a pleasure following the progress :)
  • st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    @Zubnero
    Thanks man! Glad you like it!
  • Thierryart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thierryart polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome men!
    You could even push the look of it by adding more moss and ivy on the fence in the background.
    Good job!