Home Technical Talk

Character Rigging?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
I am going to be honest here, I have 0 experience with character rigging. 

Like I don't know anything, I know there are things called weights and joints.

That's it.Where should I start? I have Maya, and want to make the Rig work in Unreal, any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there are special tools for rigging for unreal...
    do a search on youtube there are a lot of videos from epic....
  • PolyHertz
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest the epic tools are amazing but they do a lot for you, so you won't actually learn much, you'll just be learning how to interact with the final result of a rigging system that was created by someone else. 

If your aim is to just get a character in game and you don't care about actually learning how to make the rigs, then the epic tools are great. 

If your aim is to actually get to the level were you're making the tools/rigs that come in the epic kit, then that's a much longer and much more technical process.

So I guess, which path are you thinking of taking?
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    To be honest the epic tools are amazing but they do a lot for you, so you won't actually learn much, you'll just be learning how to interact with the final result of a rigging system that was created by someone else. 

If your aim is to just get a character in game and you don't care about actually learning how to make the rigs, then the epic tools are great. 

If your aim is to actually get to the level were you're making the tools/rigs that come in the epic kit, then that's a much longer and much more technical process.

So I guess, which path are you thinking of taking?
    I'm taking the easy path as of now, I don't think my computer can run it though. It crashes maya with extreme prejudice. I need to get a new computer..Like not an old laptop..