Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Zbrush character critique/feedback

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
keket polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, trying my hand at Zbrush and, well my first character model ever, I'm basing it off this amazing concept by Johannes Helgeson 

So far I'm starting to get closer to where i want to be with the facial state, but a couple of days ago i tried mocking out some hair.

Looks alright, lets start pulling out some parts and adding clay and-whatthehell.

It starts to thin out, and then this happens when i apply the dynamesh.

I've been following EDGE-CGIs tutorial on hair, but he doesn't seem to have this problem, is there a setting I'm missing? it turns into a hollow shell and starts to thin up and get really weird in areas :(

Any other feedback critique would be awesome, I'm more used to modeling hard poly stuff than anything organic, and this is my first experience with Zbrush.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your brushes have pulled all of the interior polygons hard up against the outside, so your dynamesh is screwing up. The easiest way to fix this is to turn on backface masking in your brushes > automasking menu. Once that's turned on, you'll be able to fill in the cavity a bit to add some thickness to your model - the clay brush is probably the best for doing that. Once that's done, you should be able to your dynamesh with no problems.

Backface masking can do some odd things so you'll probably want to turn it off again once you don't need it any more.
  • keket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keket polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks man! Managed to block in some rough hair today.