Home Technical Talk

3D scans - How do you put them to use?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
brum polycounter lvl 6
I've tried my hand at 3d scanning (photogrammetry) recently.
I still have some ways to go, but i ran into a bit of a roadblock after experimenting a bit with the whole process.

To clarify things i don't have any problems with decimating, unwrapping and baking because that workflow is all to familiar to people who work with sculpts in any program.

My problem is putting these scans to good use. Most of the meshes that are created from scanning are generally not 360 degree scans, but rather larger, flat-ish meshes with unsymmetrical jagged edges, outcroppings and crevices.

I mainly scan rocks and cliffs because i want to use them to create environments. I've tried to arrange the meshes in order to create larger geometry, but it doesn't work too well due to their difference in scale(detail, color) and shape.

I'm pretty new to sculpting but i have sculpted some cave/stone/rock themed levels in ZBrush before, and it's a painstaking process if you want to create detailed and unique environments without relying too much on seamless and repeating textures, so i decided to create scans to help with that time-consuming task.

I was wondering if anyone had done the same and how they they put these scans to good use. I imagine some way to merge them them into a base geometry of a level/wall could result in some neat sculpts without the need for detailing.