Home Technical Talk

[Maya LT] Confusing and Weird Joint Rendering

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I'm a bit of a beginner. I've known about polycount for a while, but this is the first time I've ever really looked at the site... I'm in awe. What some of you peeps can do with these tools is incredible.

Anyhow, to the problem:

I was trying to rig the 2nd model I've ever done in my life (I rigged a humanoid once in Blender), and I encountered some really strange behavior. Because I'm a bit new it confused me a lot at first.

I'm trying to rig a Dragon (admittedly not a great starting point for a beginner, but I have no choice...). I drew out the first Bone chain starting at the Dragon's midsection and proceeding down the Dragon's tail, as shown below:

DragonRigCapture1PNG

The problem--as you can probably see--is that once I reached a certain point on the tail, the bones (joints) started being rendered near the Dragon's head. Being a beginner, I was first confused and frustrated. After calming down a bit I realized that Maya was not actually placing the bones in the wrong position, rather, the bones were just being rendered in the wrong place. Evidenced by the fact that a) all of the bones are still part of the same hierarchy:

DragonRigCapture2PNG

and b) the following:

DragonRigCapture3PNGDragonRigCapture4PNGDragonRigCapture5PNG

DragonRigCapture6PNG

So basically my question is: if the bones are physically present in the tail, why are they being incorrectly rendered in the front of the Dragon? Also, is this a bug without a workaround, or is there a way to fix this? 

I know I can keep working, but it just unnerves me as a beginner to try and rig with bones being visualized in the wrong places. 

I'd really appreciate any help that I can get on this. I tried posting on the Autodesk forums, but so far no luck. Plus the polycount community seems cooler anyway.

Thanks in Advance