Home Adobe Substance

Missing some basic conceptual stuff for Painter...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
First, a couple of pics:
So I need for the chipped off parts or the damaged parts where the paint has been messed up to use height or normal data to push IN and not out or just float there on the surface. Some of you might be saying, "well yeah, Marius, but we can see that in your second pic, that your damaged wood layer has it's height and normal channels turned off so of course it's going to look flat." but my problem there is that if I turn those on, then I get bumpyness from the damaged wood that comes up through the wood planking of the layers above it and makes them look bumpy in ways that I don't want....which doesn't make sense to me because those layers with their data should occlude what's beneath them, right?

So my question then is, how do I get stuff to look like it's pushed inward and how do I keep data from layers from pushing up through data in other layers? I feel like my mask that's punching holes in my painted planks group to expose the "dmg wood" layer beneath it ONLY where the mask exposes it, should also work for EVERYTHING underneath and not let the bumpy data pass through but it's not doing that so I have the height and nrm channels turned off.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can modify the height channel blending mode. By default it is set to Linear Dodge, which accumulate detail from underneath layers.
    Change the beldning mode to Normal to have the new layer "covering" the previous layer and adding that transition to make it push inward or outward.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said: "...adding that transition to make it push inward or outward."   I uhhh, I understand changing the channel blending modes, thank you very much for that but it's this last part that I'm not getting. Can you be more specific, sir?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I just meant that the resulting normal will display the height difference if you push the height value of the new layer, unlike when you layer normal maps where you will have a sharp transition between the background and foreground and no sense of depth between the two.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean this control? And if so, I can't figure out how to access it once a material//substance or something is in/on the layer.

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been trying to research this and google things like "Substance Painter" +layer +"height value" and I'm not getting anything that looks like what you're talking about, Jerc. I'm sorry if I'm being dense. :(
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substances shipped with Painter usually have a Height range and position settings. The height position is the equivalent of this slider.
    If you don't have this parameter, you can add a levels effect on your layer and change the levels on the height channel to increase or decrease the height.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I'll have to use the levels effect. Thanks, Jerc. :) Truly.  The Substances I'm using are mostly custom ones coming from Designer. :)