Home Technical Talk

Layer Recording is adding Polypaint

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Acute polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, this is a relatively minor issue but one whose cause I can't seem to discover. 

When turning layer recording on or off in zbrush my subtool is filled with black polypaint and "colorize" under the polypaint tab is switched on. I can of course simply switch this off to remove the paint fill effect, but it gets tedious after a while of switching between layers to continuously have to check that thing.

Anybody have an idea what's causing this? I don't have the rgb channel activated while sculpting or anything either.

Replies

• jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    If you hover over your layers it will tell you what each layer contains. One of those layers likely has Polypaint information.
    If anyone knows of another way, I'd love to hear it. But this is my method for extracting the sculpt information.

Turn the layer on >Store Morph Target >Turn layer off >Add a new layer >Switch to morph target.
    Now you should have a clean layer with no Polypaint, if the Polypaint data is waste just delete that layer.
    If you want to keep the Polypaint, do the same thing as above but do it with the shape data hidden, then you should get a layer that only has Polypaint.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• Acute
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acute polycounter lvl 8
    It does, thank you, That's an effective enough work around for now.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've also encountered with this same issue, but I got used to fiddling with the "colorize" button under the polypaint tab everytime time this happens. Also, polypaint in general doesn't seem to work properly with ZBrush's 3D layers, like in PS or Mudbox... and AFAIK there's no proper way to erase the polypaint/material color information completely from your model, even if you dont have layers.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is a long-standing bug in ZB. Layers have always been broken. This is one of my top wishes for ZB5, to have a redesigned layer system that just works.
  • Acute
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acute polycounter lvl 8

The only method I know of for completely killing material and polypaint information on a mesh is to select the Flat Color standard material in white, enable Mrgb painting, and use Color>Fill Object on the mesh. That seems to clear everything.