Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vman Improvement Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
The Vman polycounter lvl 3
I've been feeling in a real painterly mood lately, and I feel starting one of these threads up could help motivate me to do more art. It'd be a nice place to get critique and ideas on how to improve. I love painting, but I'll often feel like I'm at a loss on how to tackle advanced concepts. Any critique or direction would be a world of help!

Here's some of my old stuff:

Replies

• The Vman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest things I struggle with are getting little details or texture into my paintings. I don't really know how to effectively utilize different brushes.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think your biggest problem is to much contast. you have a lot of just black zones in your images. which is a perfect place to put more detail too.
  • The Vman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm yea that's a good point. I'll usually be in grayscale when I'm starting off a piece, and I'll get carried away pushing the lights and darks.

Something new I did today, I wanted to play it fast and loose with this one, trying to be a little more free with my color choices. Was looking at some of Splatoon's concept art for inspiration (they've got a very graceful messiness to them which I love, though I got a little too uptight with the painting i think)

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Well  im a sucker for stylized stuff so that last one is right up my alley. but yeah, if you work in black and white and then add color later it explains a lot =P
    I think what you could do is ad colors a lot earlier in your painting progress.