Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Character [WIP]

Jordz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jordz polycounter lvl 8
I have been working on a samurai, still lots to do. I want to get some nice details on this character such as small rope ties, embossed patterns, details that make it stand out.

Replies

• Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Been working on the arms mainly and tried to get more detail out, I've also played around with rendering from Zbrush.

Still need to work in the sword and the ties. I'm going to make the hands into gloves and sculpt the detail in the feet.
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Made a major change to the lower body armor, i didn't feel like the original armor looked right. Added in the scabbard and worked the waist tie a bit, im a bit unsure about the waist tie, im going to play around with different arrangements of the fabric to see which one works best.

Critique welcome
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    I like the helmet and mask, best thing in the character. The plate also looks nice. Don't like the belt, needs more work as does the hands, feet and the sandals. the lower plates in the legs, don't know what those are called, also need more work.

Also i think it would look better if undearneath the plate he wore some sort of chainmale rather than just a piece of cloth.
    Here's an image for inspiration

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Two things mainly, the folds on the shirt and pants looks really random, try getting some reference to get that right. Second, I'm not completely sure about this, but I wouldn't choose barefoot sandals for a fully armored samurai, the pictures that I can find has sandals but they usually have some thick sock underneath it, there are some that show the skin, but the sandal is different, like the pic bellow. Keep it up!

• Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    Made some major changes. Thank you KOHG and Maxilator for your feedback, really helpful in getting details right. So I've changed the sandals to the sock and thin sandal; however i still need to sculpt in the detail giving more form to the foot. Changed the lower armor again, much happier with this version i feel that it is more authentic. I feel the same about the new shoulder plates and I also got chain mail along the arms.

Next im going to sort the gloves out and try and improve the folds in the under garments.
  • Jordz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8