Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ghost in the Shell - Tachikoma

Hi guys! First time posting here, but I wanted to show off this model I did for class of Ghost in the Shell's Tachikoma. This was our first time creating a hipoly model and projecting it with a normal map, as well as using CrazyBump for additional details if we wanted. After that we took rendered shots in UE4. Comments and crit are very appreciated! Thanks!

UE4 Renders:

Low poly wireframe in 3ds Max, ~33k tris

Album of UVs and maps:
http://imgur.com/a/9RqQq

Album of refs:
http://imgur.com/a/pRHmu

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the model looks really cool! background and presentation could be nicer though. youre somewhere inbetween having a background environment and not having one, I would say either make a cool scene to put it in or keep the background simpler and just have blurred environment or a gradient to the floor etc
  • Nabes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the advice! We actually had to use that particular scene for this assignment, but I went ahead an downloaded Marmoset.

• Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Just a TINY thing that's really not even a crit, it's more just my opinion. I would PERSONALLY like it better if the blue was a bit more dull and looked like paint rather than a blue metal. Again, this is about taste. The model looks fantastic and seems really faithful to the anime. Great job!
  • Nabes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to balance out the paint with the metal was kinda tough. I think one point of confusion I had was whether to have the blues in the metalness map or not. I understand that it's paint and not a metal, yet I've been told that metalness maps should be strictly black or white, yet setting the blue as a non-metal never gave me the sort of reflectivity I wanted even tinkering with the roughness.