Home Contests & Challenges Archives Warframe

[Weapon Swap] - Galatine - Kraykor

Woo, more Grineer stuff in progress!  

Grineer are by far my favorite faction. Probably even more so than Tenno, probably. Definitely more so than Corpus. Rusty metal and cords > chrome and neon any day. I like the organic bulbous shapes of Grineer weapons and armor, and I like their little imperfections and sometimes blunt stylings. So hopefully I'll be bringing down the Tenno weapons, in the name of glorious Grineer. The destiny of Warframe is Grineer weapon skins! Glory to the Queens! 

The Kraykor is a crude but intimidating blade wielded by particularly powerful Grineer Butchers, who undergo heavy augmentation to swing the instrument with devastating force. Grineer are known to become quite attached to their Kraykor; often carving oaths or notches onto the flat of the blade, keeping and maintaining the weapon long after it has suffered and been sundered. While a freshly produced Kraykor may look like any other, by it's third or fourth battle every Grineer's blade has become something very personal.   

Replies

• galtego
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but I think DE might have an issue with the model differing so much from the hitbox; maybe not though. Looks good!
  • justincoocoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Galtego! Yeah, that's my big worry as well. I'm prepared to shrink down the blade, but I definitely started this project wanting to be as absurdly liberal with the blade size as possible. I like the Grineer aesthetic of being ugly and a bit obtuse, and I think the silly giant blade concept is still pretty popular.  

Not much of an update right now, but showing a comparison between the Kraykor and the Galatine. If anyone from DE pops over, please tell me what you think of the size! I have the original size to the left, and a slightly slimmer version on the right. 

The direction I'm going with is largely based on some lore I once read about the Grineer. I think it said something like "Grineer are better at fixing broken things than they are at creating things that are perfect to begin with". It's a really beautiful idea, and it sorta humanized the little clone bastards for me. I like to think that the Grineer hate the idea of getting rid of their broken or damaged weapons. I think a Grineer lancer will hold on to his Grakata long after it's shoddy manufacturing starts ruining the weapon, and I think he'd spend a lot of heartfelt time desperately repairing it.

In the same way, I imagine the Kraykor is comprised of multiple parts that can be individually repaired. It's comprised of a large and solid piece of steel, attached to the handle with a number of clamps and fasteners. A Corpus Crewman will simply purchase a new Detron, when his old one falls into disrepair. A Tenno's Galatine, being one single piece, might be reforged or retired honorably after being sundered in battle. But the Grineer keep their Kraykor, no matter what. 
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    I like the background.

The proportions of the thicker one feel a bit better to me, but it's definitely taking the ridiculously big sword and making it even more ridiculously big ;).  It's still not so large that it should not work.  Might want to add some serrations etc on the back edge in case the animation set swings both ways.