Home Technical Talk

COD BO3 - Polycount guess

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Seraphinn polycounter lvl 4
With the new release and wanting to make a current gen (ps4/xbone) character and weapons with texture sizes correct... I dont want to undershoot or overshoot on texture sizes.. Ive heard rumours some of the main characters are aroun 100000 polys which im taking as tri's, but to texture sizes theres nothing i can find as studios are obviously tight lipped.

I know it all depends on the game but character would be 3rd person and weapon would be for a first person but i would love some other insight

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    doesn't matter. it's too specific to platform, importance of character on screen and reusability (do characters have to stand in for cinematics, for example, is there a thrisd person closeup view available, etc). also, the way textures are used on asset can vary greatly. detail maps, tiling textures blended with masks or used on repeating elements and overlayed over unique textures. a lot can be done without throwing huge textures on everything.

without knowing about that, all you can do is make something that looks good, is supported in the tech you intend to output it with and isn't done in ways that would never fly in an engine in an actual game. if in doubt, overshoot and have it look as good as you can and make sure it can always be scaled back.

edit: a lot of those polygons are very likely used on hair these days.
  • Harford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    Some rough info would still help... 
    High-end Character:  shoot for 50-80k tris ,10k for face ,10k for hair
    Textures sizes 2048 *2048 and separate maps for face / hair / upper and low body. 

1st person weapon : 30-50k 2048*2048 texture

Course these can vary wildly, but if you have literally no ballpark these numbers can serve to help