Home Technical Talk

how to make lava in 3d?

hey guys, i want to create my first 3d environment and it will have some lava effects, but i dont know how to make the lava in 3d i have no idea.
i use maya, does maya have a option to create that lava effect? or there is another software or plugin for that? pls help
thanks

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    What have you searched for so far? There are lots of ways to do this. 

Also how are you planning to render the environment? In a game engine, or in Maya?
  • itzaspace
    i was looking something that gives me this apparience or similar

i only want to make a hi poly environment in zbrush, i dont want to work with low poly, just to show in my portfolio some zbrush skils, so i wonder if there is a program to create lava and then import to zbrush
    thanks 
  • Eric Chadwick
    You can create it all in Zbrush, sure. Why exactly do you want to show Zbrush skills? To get work as a Zbrush-only artist? Some more information would help us help you.

Here's a recent example of using in-game shaders to make lava. Can't do this in Zbrush though. http://polycount.com/discussion/160691/sketchbook-eric-chadwick
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 12
    I did a good flowing lava in UE4 mostly through the materials, I used a displacement map with a panner? I believe function, so it hand a flowing movement, emissive of course to get the light emitting the yellow emissive on the rock you could likely do on the rock asset itself if you know where the marking line is, I built a water material that foams to rocks dunno if you could do the same though with the emissives and all that, might be worth just vertex painting in a blend or maybe even a decal.

wish I had a gif to show but this is what I was coming up with in UE4 in my material tests can fire up and share the material setup sometime tomorrow if you like although Eric chadwicks I am sure is likely better lol

I know you are planning Zbrush but game engines are so much easier for setting up these things and demonstrating real time renders.
  • itzaspace
    Thanks guys
    Eric i was thinking  to create my environment from hi to low poly , but is a lot of work, retopo maps etc... so i'm thinking to make my environment only hi poly with zbrush and vertex color to save time, i have some 3d low poly works but i also want to add some  hi poly works in my portfolio.
    So if there is a good option to simulate the lava in zbrush i will go for hi only, if not i will go for low poly, right now im creating the hi in zbrush.
    i have no experience with unity and ue :( 

EXCESSIVEZERO
    these are  relly cool materials, the lava of the middle is exactly something that im looking for 
    i will watch some UE tutorials to see how it works

This is my concept

thanks
  • Eric Chadwick
    If you want to get work as a game artist, then you need to show you know how to make art in a game engine.

To demonstrate Zbrush skill, you don't need a full scene. Just make a sculpt.
  • itzaspace
    i dont want to go to far away for now with game engines in unity or ue because im more a 2d concept artists, illustrator and some 3d basics as a sculptor, so i just wonder if there is a method to make the lava in zbrush or maya, 
  • Eric Chadwick
  • itzaspace
    wow that link is fantastic, thanks a lot bro, you are the best :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    I'm amazed you did not find this in your own research, tbh. That was on the first Google page for "zbrush lava". It seems like you didn't do a search.