Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Switching between IK/FK without auto-matching?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
joarwho polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys!
I have recently been using a few rigs who don't have an automatic IK/FK switch. So far I have tackled this by switching to IK or FK and tried to move the controllers manually so it matches the first pose, but this method means that the animation sometimes will have a pop between the frames where I switch from IK to FK.

I just wonder if if there are a better method to do this? Maybe a plugin or something? I would really appreciate some help!

Edit: I'm using Maya btw!

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I hear ya

I've been working on this solution since switching over to Maya.
    Grappling with Melscript since day 1 has been a huge learning curve. But, thanks to the Technical forum here, I've managed to carve out a large chunk of it.  
    It's far from perfect, but I'm hoping by next year I'll have everything wrapped up in a nice little plugin that'll resolve the fk/ik issue and make it a simple 3 click process for setting up basic Bone rigs into a seamless IK/FK rig for the public.

As is, it's extremely light-weight. Allowing for multiple rigs onscreen at the same time without any lag issues.

https://youtu.be/yEITWKOeWBw
  • Chaucer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaucer polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah this sorta has always been an issue. Most people try to just plan their animations around the limitation and when it needs to happen they would "hide" it in very fast motion on over 1 frame. Or just muscle it in.

If doing something rather complex a technique that I heard of would be to place locators in world space to where you'd want the wrist in say FK or something and then and just plot it out afterwards in IK by snapping the the wrist to the locator. A crude way of doing motion tracking I guess.

I hope that helps. Good luck
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it!

That script sounds/looks very interesting Steven. Is that something you are planning on sharing later down the road?

Anyway, I guess I'll have do my best to hide it in the animations for the time being. Using locators isn't such a bad idea though. Maybe I'll try to make some kind of script for that.