Home Adobe Substance

Painter: Custom Materials//.sbars to automatically load on initialization...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
I fire up Painter and the "shelf" has what it has in the Materials section.

So if I have some .sbars and I put them here:

HD c: > Program Files > Allegorithmic > Substance Painter > resources > shelf > allegorithmic > materials

...shouldn't they show up in my material menu//view//area in Substance Painter every time I initialize the program?

These wouldn't be project specific kinda things like maybe a smart material but materials that I want to add to the default library.

pf

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Somewhat confusingly there's the programs own "shelf" folder which includes default stuff (what you describe which doesn't work), but for your own extra stuff you use:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I will clarify this a bit : NEVER put stuff inside the "allegorihtmic" folder of the shelf. This is the default shelf that we will destroy and recreate each time we update the shelf. However there is a special location to add your own resources and keep them across versions. That's the purpose of the shelf folder inside your "My documents" folder (as pointed out by BEK). When you launch Substance Painter for the first time, it will copy the "allegorithmic" shelf from its install folder to your "My documents". That's why it may not already exist sometimes.

In any way, never put content into the installation folder. That's the best way to loose something. :)
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! Crapola! I'll move my stuff right away. :) Thanks you guys!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Maybe Allegorithmic could add a 'This is not the shelf you're looking for.txt' to the program's shelf explaining this as the program directory is usually the first place people look.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We plan to change the structure to something more clear (as it seems nobody understand the current one).
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message