Female Character Work Thread - Modern Celtic Hero

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 8
Latest Update:

Original Post:

Hey!  So I'm an environment artist but it's been far too long since I've gone through the character art pipeline, so I've been developing this character from a story/setting that's been kicking around in my head for a while.  She has some background and history and lore and all that garbage that no one but me really cares about, but basically she's a 20th century girl who takes up the mantle of an ancient mythical hero. Basically a badass every-girl type hero.

Here's some of my design/pose sheet stuff. I'm not a painter really, so you'll have to settle for my lineart:

I've started the sculpting process and I need some help with appeal in the face and head.

Body went ok:

But the face is kicking my ass:

I really like where the concept landed, but as I tried to match the facial proportions in the drawings, I realized that the drawings are too cartoony.  They have the feel that I like, but not the proportions, so I restarted.  I really like (as do we all) the look of jfletcher's Huntress project. I also pulled some images of Saoirse Ronan into my ref boards for this forever ago.  

Here's a truncated version of one of my ref boards: https://www.pinterest.com/mutatdjellyfish/causeway-ref/

The face as it is moving in the right direction, but I'm really struggling with appeal.  I'm not really going for sexy or hot, but I want her to be attractive and appealing from a design perspective.  As it is now, she's pretty skeletor and too pouty.  I think I'm making some amateur mistakes but it's getting difficult to dial into what exactly I need to change. The old "looking at it too long" problems.

Any thoughts or advice?

Replies