Home Contests & Challenges Archives Warframe

[Alt Helm] - Excalibur - TBD

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
Heyo, been working on improving my own art by creating Dota 2 Assets, saw the contest and immediately wanted to accomplish it.  

Anyways just gonna break down the steps to keep track of myself... 

Excited and gonna start work this week.  

Concept Stage: (In Progress)

Cracked open the original assets to take a look at the model and overall mesh... Jotted down some thoughts in the below post. 
Decided to just take the object into zbrush for exploratory sculpting rather than fool around with silhouettes in Photoshop.   

Creation Stage: 

Blocking out the major shapes
Detail work
Cleanup/Damage

Retopo and Bake:

Retopologize the helmet
Bakes

Texturing:

Color Map
Materials?

Review and Submission:

Replies

• Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Concept stage thoughts:  

Excalibur color scheme - Grey, white-grey and red, could probably work in silver tones.   Red is such a great color with white.

Sword concepts: 
    Sweeping forms...  want to retain a similar silhouette as all the other original alt helms capture but try to change it up...   
    I love scimitars... hmmm  
    Need to avoid shapes to close to Frost and Rhino

Ability Ideas: 
    Dash n slash - Kind of fits in with sweeping design of the helmet...  He has a very forward attack design
    Radial blind - Perhaps I should work protection to this into the design, eye-lids that look like they could shut over the eye slots when he performs the action, would provide an interesting shape.  
    Radial Javalin - Probably better worked out through weapon design but eye-placement could work...   Hmmm... 
    Exalted blade - Probably better worked out through weapon design. 

I wonder if the helm can be asymmetrical. 

Arthurian Ideals: 
    Crown-like structure on the helm? 
    Previous alt helms all used arthurian legend for their naming...   Something to think about.