Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: BeccatheRose/Becca Hallstedt

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
beccatherose ngon master
Hi guys! New artist here  Here's my digital sketchbook thread, so I guess most sketches and WIPs will be here!
I'm a game artist in Chicago that mostly does concept art for props, creatures, and characters, along with hand-painted texture stuff and occasional modeling. Feel free to say hi to me, and I'm always open to C&C. 

You can find me at my Artstation:  http://artstation.com/artist/beccahallstedt 
and at my website: http://beccahallstedtdesign.com/ 
and in my 2D Art Thread: http://polycount.com/discussion/160533/beccatherose-2d-art-thread#latest

Thanks!

Replies

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    herbalist (moved to 2d art thread)
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    more progress on this big guy!

• benkulino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benkulino polycounter lvl 3
    Love your stylized style, especially your character sketches. A thing that I can't do better. Keep it up man...
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    benkulino said:
    Love your stylized style, especially your character sketches. A thing that I can't do better. Keep it up man...
    Thanks man! Love the art in your Looking for Work thread, very cool environments
  • vixyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vixyl polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Becca I'm loving your work! Started following you on Artstation as well. Your style is very appealing, and I think you've mastered the use of color. Also, your art is very well-rounded. I see characters, creatures, environments, props... I'm guessing the secret to this is to practice drawing everything (which seems like a lot of dedication!). Is there any one particular category you enjoy drawing concept art for the most? And how often do you draw?
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    vixyl said:
    Hey Becca I'm loving your work! Started following you on Artstation as well. Your style is very appealing, and I think you've mastered the use of color. Also, your art is very well-rounded. I see characters, creatures, environments, props... I'm guessing the secret to this is to practice drawing everything (which seems like a lot of dedication!). Is there any one particular category you enjoy drawing concept art for the most? And how often do you draw?
    Ah thanks for the kind works, I really appreciate it! I'm no master, but I'm certainly trying to be one day. I'm pretty young and I have a lot of exciting days of art ahead of me.
    I originally studied industrial design in a very strong program with a heavy emphasis on fundamentals. This I believe is key. When you're able to work very observationally and flexibly, you can expand your practices beyond just one or two things. It primarily comes down to value, creating appealing shapes and shape language, and rendering skills. Being able to paint with form is key.
    I haven't drawn or practiced everything, very very far from it. To be honest I don't do a lot of hand studies or face studies when creating characters- I just work observationally. Being able to break things down into simple curves and planes, regardless of content, allows you to really create believable forms no matter the complexity.
    I draw a LOT. When in school, maybe 10+ hours/day for the most part. I did that out of fun, not obligation. Ever. This is not necessarily normal or healthy. Out of the ~135 projects on my Artstation since I created the profile 2.5 years ago, about 120 were from my last 1.5 years in school. Output and a lot of practice are very important, but so is taking care of yourself. Now that I've stepped away from studio work and I'm trying freelance, I've found that drawing less (4-6 hours/day on personal work when off-contract) and spending more time on other parts of life has been essential for good mental health. It feeds my creativity, actually. Makes me a better artist.
    I have more mental energy so I can work out of my comfort zone more, and I evolve quickly because of that. Maybe you put in 20 or 30 or more hours a week...but you won't see growth if you keep making the same mistakes over and over. Polycount is great for getting feedback so that you focus on using the critique you're getting. Gives you a new set of eyes, gets you out of your own head. That's very hard to do by yourself.
    I don't draw when it's a chore. That causes burnout in personal work and can be very discouraging, frustrating. I really recommend focusing #1 on what is fun to make, what you're curious about. That's why my portfolio content bounces around a lot, I don't draw the same 5 faces over and over again because that's not fun for me. Some exercises are boring but important...don't skip out on those, but mix it with the fun stuff. When creating is playful and interesting, that is when your passion will be the most lit and you will find what you love to make. If the process is fun, then you'll keep making art That is the secret to unlock persistent, curious, and delightful creativity. Keep it fresh, keep challenging yourself, keep constantly creating.
    Good luck!
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Working on Wesley, a journeying foxen tracker NPC that has momentarily joined our group to guide us through the Elderwood. We'll take him to the mages guild in Emerald Keep to relieve him of a curse that turns his hands to those of a skeleton...if we manage to escape the woods alive.

• beccatherose
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Adjusting values and shapes in the kirin design to incorporate the golden scales
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Rough piece of my friend's halfling rogue

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    went back to this unfinished piece and started making some new adjustments!

• bhaskarrac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bhaskarrac polycounter lvl 2
    Really love all your characters and creatures! Please keep them coming. :smile:
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Really love all your characters and creatures! Please keep them coming. :smile:
    Ah thank you!
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    retackling maela's portrait

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    finishing this kirin design up very soon
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    new creature wip... 

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    work in progress cockatrice 

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    so many dang WIPs

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    working more on wesley

• NineLimits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NineLimits triangle
    Really enjoyed looking though your sketchbook and 2D art thread. It has been really inspiring! I really enjoy how much variety you have and your colours. Looking forward to seeing more of your art, makes me want to work even harder!
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Really enjoyed looking though your sketchbook and 2D art thread. It has been really inspiring! I really enjoy how much variety you have and your colours. Looking forward to seeing more of your art, makes me want to work even harder!
    Ahh that's so kind! It's nice to have a place that documents such a big chunk of my digital work, maybe one day I'll share some of the older beginner pieces... but they're all important regardless! Don't forget that even the imperfect pieces contribute to your journey, and best of luck with your work <3
  • NineLimits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NineLimits triangle
    Ahh that's so kind! It's nice to have a place that documents such a big chunk of my digital work, maybe one day I'll share some of the older beginner pieces... but they're all important regardless! Don't forget that even the imperfect pieces contribute to your journey, and best of luck with your work <3
    Thanks, and I totally agree! I would not be where I am now without all the mess! Failure is my friend, it always makes me realize that I'm pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. If I'm not failing, then I'm not trying hard enough!
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Thanks, and I totally agree! I would not be where I am now without all the mess! Failure is my friend, it always makes me realize that I'm pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. If I'm not failing, then I'm not trying hard enough!
    Hell yeah 
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    quick progress

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    chipping away!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a fun one to work on!

Are you thinking about adding some subtle veinage in the wing flaps?

Might be nice to echo some of the wing sss color in the horns, or elsewhere.

Light hitting the upper chest and cheek seems odd. Where is it coming from, and why is it not hitting the forearm or elsewhere? Break in the clouds maybe, but it's nighttime... moon maybe? Nice to add a spot of color/interest, incongruous is all. 

Anyhow, nice work! 
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Looks like a fun one to work on!

Are you thinking about adding some subtle veinage in the wing flaps?

Might be nice to echo some of the wing sss color in the horns, or elsewhere.

Light hitting the upper chest and cheek seems odd. Where is it coming from, and why is it not hitting the forearm or elsewhere? Break in the clouds maybe, but it's nighttime... moon maybe? Nice to add a spot of color/interest, incongruous is all. 

Anyhow, nice work! 
    Thanks for the feedback!!! I had some of it in mind for future steps but I definitely need to tinker with the lighting. I'll incorporate it once I (eventually) get a chance to keep working on this :)
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    recent random sketches

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    still workin on this lil guy.

• beccatherose
    Options