Home Unity

Importing Images from blender to Unity, which format to choose

GoneAway
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
GoneAway polycounter lvl 5
I am importing 3D objects from blender to Unity, trying to create a scene, and for simplicity I am creating the textures in blender also. The manual in blender states as I understand that the images are saved in an 8 bit format (if the 32bit option box is not checked), which is ok, cause I am not aiming for high detailed images.
When importing the texture in Unity there are a variety of options in format types,not including 8 bit formats and I am not sure which is the most optimal. The textures are quite simple, I have not moved to a more detailed texturing, so there is no visual difference. The most obvious difference is the file size, which I am trying to keep it low, so I am avoiding 32bit formats.
Now, I have absolute no knowledge of the technical issues, but I am wondering which is the best approach here?

Replies

• echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    In Blender 8-bit means per channel color depth, so 8-bits per channel.  That's a standard texture.  16-bit means 16 per channel, and it used mostly for alpha masks/brushes.  Unity does have a specific 16-bit format, because it's a grayscale format(mostly). 

All textures are 32-bit textures, but some like JPG or PNG are compress so they are smaller in file size, but they still have color stored in 32-bits:  8 bits(0-255 value) per channel, so 8 for Red, 8 for Green, 8 for Blue, and 8 for Alpha/transparency.  Technically, JPGs and some PNGs only use 24-bits, because there's no alpha but the format is still there.  The in-game texture compression format set in Unity(Compress, Uncompressed, or PVT or ETC2, or whatever)  is a Unity specific setting and has little to do with what format you export your textures in.

Coming from Blender your best options are:
    For color only(no alpha) PNG, RGB and 8
    For color and alpha: TGA,RGBA and 8

From there Unity will import them, change the compression to whatever platform your're going to build to and you don't have to worry about it.
  • GoneAway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoneAway polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for your response, I acutally manage to figure these out. I have been searching the web like a maniac. Indeed the Unity settings has little to do with the format the textures are exported. The "truecolor" default option actually does the job, assuming the targeted platform is PC at the very least. The only detail so far I've noticed when importing images from Blender to Unity is, while Blender exports RGBA, Unity imports as ARGB.