Home Technical Talk

3ds Max OpenSubDiv uglyness

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Upgraded from 3ds Max 2012 to 2016 and really excited to try out OpenSubDiv but finding it giving really ugly results.

So I made a simple test and I don't quite understand why it's giving off these really bad errors.. that sort of look like shading issues? Or is it just really poorly creasing the edges even on this simple example? I have the edges creased to 0.4 and iterations to 4.

How do I get my opensubdiv to look to like the traditional method? Or is it not meant to replace the traditional way of doing highpoly?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Creased edges in OpenSubDiv don't suck the generated edges towards them, so you'll need a LOT of geometry to get results comparable to traditional methods.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    It's just extension of what you can do. You can still use edge loops to get same results.

The issue goes away when you have enough geo in the 'smooth' area, be that by adding sub-d levels, or by adding geo traditionally.

Additionally making the crease smoother makes the effect less visible, while smoothing sharp edges. (Which can be quite desirable, since normal maps pick up smooth edges better.)