Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP School Portfolio Project: 50s Cartoon / Modern Punk Fusion Character Rig

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Bosspanda485 polycounter lvl 2
I'm in my senior year of college in the Computer Animation program, and one of our classes involves a self-directed project to help pad our portfolio.  For my piece, I'm creating a modern punk in a style reminiscent of a 40s-50s era black and white cartoon.  I was inspired by a few different artists, including the Gorillaz, and McBess. With that in mind, I experimented with using a sort of pointilism effect to try to get that inked-on-paper look.

Working in Maya, I plugged in 3 images with a different density of points into a toon shader, and had the images projected from the camera.

I switched up the modeling a little bit after that to go more punk and less hipster.  Let me know if you guys think it's an improvement.  I'm currently working on tattoos for him.

Another idea I did some work on was making a layer of color data that would show wrinkles whenever the mesh was compressed by the rig.  I'm not yet sure how I would go about this without some heavy coding, but I suppose I could just link in the alpha to the bone rotation if need be.

I would love a critique on how I should proceed with this. Let me know what you guys think!

Replies