Home General Discussion

Dynamesh/Subdivisions worflow ?

Hi guys ! I've started sculpting about 2 weeks ago, and I'm confiused about dynamesh/subdivision workflow. Some people work exclusevly in dynamesh, some go straight to subdivisions, and others are doing base mesh with dynames, zremesh it, and start subdividing. which one is moree correct, easy,  organic and popular ?

Replies

• rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    if you have bad topology you would usually go dynamesh, zremesh then subdivide. if you have good topology then you go straight to subdivision. it's preference. you can go with either one as long as it looks good to you.

the popular and easy one is dynamesh, zremesh, subdivide.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Depends on preference and task. Dynamesh on creatures is totally fine, while on Mechanical objects (like screws for example) [even on higher resolutions] it doesn't achieve same quality results and leaves you with no base for low-poly model.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Personally,
    if I have a good basemesh (even sized quads): straight to subdivisions.

If i have no basemesh:box/sphere, low-res dynamesh, subdiv, zremesh, then subdivs.

If I have a bad basemesh thats still lowish poly: zremesh, then subdivs

If I have a hp mesh that needs details: Duplicate, dynamesh, reproject, subdiv.

Others may have much better, more efficient approaches, but that's what's working for me, atm.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    All the methods you described are good. Personally I try to use dynamesh these days because it makes me work more spontaneously and I feel the dynamesh/zremesh workflow seems the quickest.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I like zspheres sometimes and dynamesh at other times!  In both cases they always wind up getting zremeshed when the form is close enough to where I want to start tightening up details.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Depends on preference and task. Dynamesh on creatures is totally fine, while on Mechanical objects (like screws for example) [even on higher resolutions] it doesn't achieve same quality results and leaves you with no base for low-poly model.

Justmesr - I use dynamesh whenever I want to use insert mesh and this is almost always on mechanical objects. What makes you avoid using dynamesh for this? or do you not use insert mesh often? 
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the workflow in this video.  Basically you sculpt with Dynamesh in pieces, combine them (generating a duplicate), ZRemesh the duplicate for better topology, subdivide it so you have more topology to play with, then project the detail from the origonal onto the new mesh.  It really gives you the best of both worlds because you can make big edits at lower subdivision levels but also get meaningful topology at higher levels for detail.