Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters for Story

So this is knight type character that I have been working on for a while. The character's name is still undecided, but I have decided to call him Rhino Beowulf for now. The character is the son of a hero who slayed the Great Chimera and freed the kingdom under its rule. After his father's death he has decided to life less seriously than his father. He comes off as a flirtatious and somewhat naive character, however this is mainly because he has an inferiority complex when people compare him with his father. So in order to hide his sense of shame he acts foolish in front of others. In reality he is as courageous as his father and deeply loves his kingdom. Rhino's story starts during the anniversary of his father's victory over the Great Chimera which also opens a portal to another dimension. The portal unleashes a parasitic horde that resurrects the Great Chimera and just as Rhino plans to fight it he is also teleported to a battlefield where he encounters a space marine. The story will be a sci-fi and fantasy mash-up focusing on two characters of the different worlds and will be considered a "cop buddy"- story.
This character is a space marine that I have been working and was mainly influenced when I was watching Aliens. The character's name is Neil (Neil Armstrong) Ripley(Ellen Ripley) and is a Sergeant in the NUSA(Nexus of Universal Space Administration) organization. The organization is a galactic alliance that will comprise of several intelligent alien species including humans.Neil comes from a family of space marines and is last of his family members to be still alive. He is one of the organizations most decorate member and was originally in the commando group, Game Over. However, after an encounter with the E.F.O., the parasitic-aliens and enemies of NUSA, his entire team was wiped out with him being the only survivor. Neil has now become devoid of honor or care and only wishes to erase the E.F.O. from existence even if it means his own death. After 64 years of combat with the E.F.O., NUSA has finally located their home world and plan to launch an all out attack against them. Neil signs up to be one of the first wave that will establish land base( since in this world NUSA has yet to develop a world-destroying weapon). Once on the planet he sees a portal open where the E.F.O. escape into and just as he plans to follow them in a man in a gold armor lands in front of him. This story will be a mashup between sci-fi and fantasy. The story will be similar to "buddy-cop" movie and will focus on the two main character's relationship and how they will defeat the E.F.O.

For my progress go to http://pvue92-2.blogspot.com/.

Replies

• xTYRANTx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The characters themself are really interesting. Regarding the drawings, I would suggest using more hard round brush and less soft brush, I think it would give more of a serious feel to Your works. 

Cheers!
  • RainbowRat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RainbowRat polycounter lvl 3
    Good job so far, proportions look fine and you pay attention on textures. Do you use armor and cloth refs? I think you could put some more contrast and details in there. (scratches, threads etc.)

As for the overall design I think the knight´s armor should look more unique. You already added a chimera-like shoulder plate, right? I think you should emphasize it a lot more and make it re-appear on the breast or leg plates in some way. Up to now the armor looks kinda empty and standard to me. However if he isn´t as serious as his father and more naive maybe he shouldn´t wear a bright golden armor at all and look more reserved and selfless. He could still put on that armor for the final boss battle and express some character development towards the end :)
  • p92liter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, these are really good advice. I think using the round brush will make it better. 
  • p92liter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also that is very good point about his armor and character RAINBOWRAT. I'll have to rethink that. 
  • RainbowRat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RainbowRat polycounter lvl 3
    Welcome :)
    Btw I just noticed something. Do you use plain black for coloring shadows and white for highlights? Don´t do that, never go full 100% black in shadows, it´ll look dull and empty. Search for gold bars and look at their shadow, it´s a dark, rather saturated red. Look up textures for your characters in general before shading them, it´ll improve your colors a lot : D