Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Fight: Poison 1989

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Marcellus polycounter lvl 8
I participated in a retro game contest and picked Poison from the original Final Fight. The goal was to update her for the current gen so I went nuts on the poly budget (what budget?) and splurged for some pretty 4096 textures. The contest required marmoset Viewer for judging so I hat to cut out some of the fat before it could be uploaded to Artstation. 

<iframe width="640px" height="480px" src="https://www.artstation.com/embed/1432913" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel="" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Dayum nice work. My only crit would be that the hips and butt are fairly masculine (intentional?). It's refreshing to not see curves and a huge butt, but it still looks slightly off for female hip structure.
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RealityFix polycounter lvl 5
    Poison is rumoured to be a transgendered women. Nintendo (I think that's the company) has been teasing this idea for a while. Whether or not that is true is up for debate. I guess for my critique I would say that the lip area could be worked on a bit more, most people don't have that really that huge indent under the nose. I would just lessen it. This would make her a bit more youthful looking.

The hips could be widened, men who go under hormone therapy actually have their hips widen a bit as it's like going through puberty again for them. You can keep it the way it is but it is possible to widen them a tad more.

Overall it's technically well done. Good texture work and whatnot.
  • Marcellus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @REALITYFIX, Thanks for the kind words, it was fun working on this.  I chose her because of that rumor, I wanted to make something we don't usually get to see so I sculpted out the body and ran with it.
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RealityFix polycounter lvl 5
    Looking at it one more time (last bit of critique) I think maybe the rib cage could be defined a bit more, it kind of melts into the abdomen a bit too much. She is athletic so I think giving her upper area a bit more definition would help. And I think you made her a bit too old looking still :P

Anyway, the anatomy is well done overall and the texture work is great. Overall it's a solid piece.
  • Marcellus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend put this idea in my head, time to get back to the punisher.

• ZenDavis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good in and of itself but lacks a lot of the flair of the original design. It's more realistic but at the same time feels decidedly boring in comparison to the original. 
  • Marcellus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis said:
    Looks good in and of itself but lacks a lot of the flair of the original design. It's more realistic but at the same time feels decidedly boring in comparison to the original. 

I pulled my inspiration from the original which was hodge podge of pixels in a side scrolling beat em up with not much info, leaving lots to interpretation. Everything that came after that, while interesting, wasn't what I desired out of this.  The target was realistic and tough.