Home Marmoset

seams and artifacts appearing in mesh as soon as I import it

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
betolycan null
Hello everyone!
So I've been having some issues with marmoset; as soon as I import a retopo mesh that's already been UV mapped there are seams along the edges where the UV shells were cut. I thought that by applying the material with the proper maps it would be fixed but it didn't. (reference image below)

The left Image has the diffuse and normal maps connected in the material, while the right one just has a white color value in the albedo map field.

I find it weird because I was working with the very same mesh and texture files in maya and they looked okay:

My workflow was like this:
-Zbrush highpoly.
-Retopo in 3DCoat.
-UV mapping in Maya.
-Normal map bakes in xNormal.

I made sure in maya that vertex were properly connected and softened edges as well.

Is there a specific setting I need to take into account before exporting from maya or importing into marmoset?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i would put my bet on broken vertex normals. that softening of edges might have done it. i'm not sure what the process for going from maya to marmoset is but check if the normals are locked and/or looking horribly wrong? custom polygon display is your friend i believe. (no maya here to check)

another thing that has always worked well in my experience is to simply do a test export with triangulated geometry. that seems to take a lot of guesswork out of the ex/import process.

• betolycan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    betolycan null
    Hi!
    thanks for the message.
    After double checking settings and whatnot I noticed that the normals option was turned off in the export settings....so yeah pretty noob mistake by me...
    then again I thought it was something else because I did try to import a few game models that I downloaded and there were seams as well.

So all in all, stupid but luckily easy mistake to fix.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you see any more seam issues, try adjusting the tangent space (click on the mesh and you'll see a tangent space option in the settings), and set that to match the tool you baked the normal map in.