Home Adobe Substance

RESOLVED: 1.6 Crashing whenever I open an SPP file.

That's really all I understand so far. Everything I try to open in 1.6 isn't opening and from what I understand is only pertained to opening files that were made in past iterations of the program.

I've restarted my computer, just in case, and all drivers are fully up to date.

Is this some weird bug that only I'm getting or does this have something to do only with the newest update? Was hoping to get some work done, hopefully a quick fix is incoming or I'm screwed.

Thanks, having a slight panic.

Edit:
For now there is a small work around if you're having a similar issue -
Open the sample project, then open the other files, or start a new project then open the files.

Edit 2:
For inexplicable reasons, it now seems to work just fine. All files can be opened and the crashes don't happen. Incidentally I was trying to record the phenomena, but it seems like it patched itself over night. 

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hey there !
    Are you able to open the sample project "Hans" ?
    Can you attach your log file ?
    See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file 
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've narrowed down the issue. If you open any file upon opening Substance Painter it will, inevitably, crash.

However, if you start a new project from the opening screen you can start to move from file to file, but there may be some issues with how Position (this strange new color set up that I'm not sure how to handle) in older files that won't show up in the same way.

Basically, things will continue to work, but you can't open files from the word go. It's a work around, but only slightly annoying compared to catastrophic.

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, not sure how to attach the log file, since I'm not sure where it goes.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I would still like to get your log file if you don't mind. 
    Also can you share a project that crash for your ?
    Also does opening the sample project crash if you don't create a new project first ?
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Hans sample project does not crash for me upon opening Substance Painter. Which means it has to do with my files, whether they're set up strangely for the program or something else.

Had to recheck if this was happening with all of my past files, and it seems to hold true.

Here is a sample file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f98t3sdab1tjwxr/flatPiece_01_Substance.spp?dl=0
    Here is the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyq0szjy3h1i1vi/log.txt?dl=0

Sorry about the wait.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Your file opens fine on my side so I'm not sure what could cause this.
    Once you load it successfully, if you save it with 1.6, then close everything and try to open this file again, does it get rid of the crash?
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would've been a really clever solution, but unfortunately I'm running into the same problem as I was before. Could it be that I'm saving it under a hard drive that Substance Painter isn't using? I can't imagine that would be it.

Even then, I made sure to save it on the original and a new save but everything crashes regardless.

Maybe it has to do with Windows 10, maybe it's the evaluation build I'm on. I'm totally unsure if you're as confused as I am. I can still get it to work, I guess it just won't be as convenient, for now. I've sent about 4 log crashes directly from Substance Painters report system. 

Hope something can be made of that.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I wasn't able either to reproduce the crash.
    What type of crash to you get ? Does the crash report appear or is it a TDR (Driver Reset) ?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If by "crash" you mean substance painter stops responding when opening your project requiring you to manually close it, I might have a workaround. I get this with large projects maybe 40% of the time, and once it occurs it seems to always do so until another project is successfully loaded. So, I keep a simple blank project (just a cube with no textures) to "kickstart" a successful load. It's likely a sideaffect of running older drivers (ccc 13.12, amd 7870).
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek It was literally crashing, and I was trying to record it, but it seems like everything is okay for now. And none of my projects are particularly large, only a few that were aimed at 2048, but it was crashing on literally everything until now.

@Froyok It was a crash that only had to do with opening files, but that isn't the case anymore. It just seems to be working and it's entirely unknown what went differently. Thank you for your time though.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Okay, let us know if it happens again then.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I have the same issue.
    Loading an project right from the start crashes Substance Painter.
    If I create a new project first and then try to load another project, this works fine.

Also saved the old file (after the workaround) and tried again to load it, same problem.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We were able to reproduce the issue and it's fixed internally. An hotfix is coming out soon. :)
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11