Home News

SCULPTRIS

Pixologic released SCULPTRIS, its free, its Zbrush's little brother, you should check it out

Pixologic has been working on this for a while and if you haven't been following it through beta testing you should know that Sculptris is a lighter quicker re-imagining of Zbrush that aims to make the users experience not so nightmarish as Zbrush can be. Think of it as training wheels for Zbrush. Sculptris puts an emphasis on sculpting triangulated meshes (get it, sculp-tris) which has been a bit of a problem for some sculpting apps in the past.

The best part is, its free, so go check it out and tell us what you think.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Ok now, in all your honesty guys, is this really worth it? (I'm honestly curious :P)
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its pretty good for scuplting and i think its much better then z-brush interface wise and it cut the shit out like all the fency tool that we dont need in zbrush. Too bad that the creator of this app have solded is soul to pixologic...
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sold it's soul? Pixologic has done nothing worth condemning. I'm happy that Sculptris will get some professional love.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    It's great!!

It's light and quick!

Gets the job done fast.

It's so intuitive I don't think you need to read the manual!

Has all the basic things you need for a small yet powerful sculpting package!

...or you can buy zbrush and have more power and a huge variety of tools, but it'll cost you some bux!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't worked with it all that much, but there are two things about it that I find really great, that no other sculpting apps have to my knowledge.

The first is the ability to extrude shapes -endlessly-, meaning you can take a sphere and make a full character out of it with limbs and everything, without ever running out of polys at the extremities. It creates new polygons right where you sculpt!

The second is that you can have different resolutions on different areas of the mesh. No need to ever subdivide the entire mesh when you only want to detail a small part, just set the brush itself to a higher res and, again, it will create the needed polygons where you sculpt. This seems really efficient to me and could help keep filesizes down.

Of course not having quads and a proper poly flow could cause other problems I imagine, but someone with more knowledge on the subject than me might be better qualified to talk about that.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the answer its to retopo it in Max, so you will have a nice polyflow and a nice normal map that you generate in xnormal wich is pretty good! :)
  • VidGameDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem i have with programs like this is that if anyone took the time, they would all be professionals; it takes away the fun of actually working hard at it, creating, blending, and shaping in programs that don't have the easy way out features such as zbrush where you can splash on as much definition like a god where its too simple to the point anyone can 3D and receive unthinkable amounts of praise.

I know i'm not one to speak about such programs, then again its because i'm still stuck self teaching myself in 3ds max due to the fact that most people are cheap bastards and will teach you for thousands if not your life's worth in currency.

Though i do wish to give my condolences and thank whoever had provided such a tool for free usage.

l8s
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    man, i sure hate free stuff... boycott
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    It would be even better it you could pick it up for free on the app store and take it on the go. I would love to see an app like this on a tablet. Im hoping it will be soon since Wacom has a new stylus to team up with it for the iPad, one can only dream!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! I was just sculpting some stuff in the alpha version last night.

Re: is it worth it?

Extremely. Personally I like it better than zbrush or mudbox. With zbrush I still wind up fighting the interface and workflow as much as I do sculpting anything. Mudbox slows down far to quickly on my machine. Sculpts however stays efficient by not wasting detail. So I can keep a low tricount, and a responsive machine and get detail where I need it.
    It is feature limited, but that is because it's a specialized tool. If you need a few screwdrivers why get a whole craftsman industrial toolbox?

A big draw for me is the more clay-like nature of it. Suddenly need horns? Mask grab and pull, and you can still detail them without retooling your basemesh. Course there aren't layers or multiple subdivision levels. :shrug:
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone else have a problem downloading it? Download page seems broken.....
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't work here either. Will try again tonight :)
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for myself i thinkt that this app will replace zbrush. for sculpting..sooner or later. They only need to add layer and subtool and theyre we go !
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Doesn't really seem to be beneficial for non-organic work, but it's still fun to tinker with.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    what's the difference between this and zbrush? is it just stripped down to just the sculpting tools, none of the other stuff? does it feel different than zbrush?

oh and joshua, is that that art thief guy's face in that woman? lol
  • Zoidburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great little program to get your sculpt started in then hit the GoZ button and finish it up in Zbrush... i have to say if this had subtools and layers and possibly a zphere like system in it for rigging / positioning your model i would never open Zbrush maybe in a future release :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    mr_ace: this program is different from zbrush because it keeps recalculating how dense the geometry should be, which means you can extrude a portion, and keep extruding it without making it one single vertex that is being extruded. So this is really cool if you want to make a model with complex shapes, and start out with a simple sphere. You don't have to worry at all about polyflow or anything.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    A few of you guys keep saying things like "if only they would add this then it could replace zbrush for me" and while I do believe you that it would work, what kind of move would it be for pixologic? If a free program was released that did everything the one you pay for does then why bother buying the more expensive one. I think they'll keep it stripped which IMO is a good move for them. It lets beginners to 3D learn the ropes of sculpting without having to learn the interface of zbrush before getting hands on with a model. I know it can be quite intimidating and I actually put off learning zbrush because I couldn't get the interface, now I know it and love it more than anything but it took a serious push to get me there.

Also @Teriyaki - oh yeah! well back in my day we had to sculpt while walking up-hill, both ways, in the snow, all on tablets called sin-teeks which had a 10 lb ball and chain attached to it called a tau-er which we would drag using cables...you kids and your wireless these days!!
  • DinkyDonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much! will you be posting places where we can get new Brushs for it ?
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god3ila polycounter lvl 10
    Ok fellas, here is my point :

I really don't think we can ever compare Sculptris to ZBrush or even Mudbox. ZB and MB are sculpting apps, made for production, and that's why workflows are more specific and sharp around them.
    Sculptris is really like a sketchbook, just take you pen, a piece of white paper and go ahead, give yourself some fun. Don't even think of technical constrain.

"Wow it's cool, extruding shapes endlessly!", it's such a trap, and I know we're going to have a lot sh** and a lot of "3D Modeler wanna be" spread their sh** around forums more than ever.
    Every sculpts I've saw since the start of sculptris were a way too muddy and it's because of this. It's not easy to do something sharp with this app, whereas ZBrush allow focussing on very basic shapes at a low res step.

However, I really don't think I can giving up ZSpheres or "base meshing" in my production workflow, for Sculptris. I'll use it, but for personnal stuff, like sketchin' on a scrapbook.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In fact you can import a base mesh in it... :P
  • Zoidburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DDuckworth no reason they cant add in all the nice features like layers, subtools, a zphere like system, more brushes? and sell it as a cheap less cluttered sculpting only alternative to Zbrush while keeping the current version as is and free.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    @god3ila - i definitely fear the stuff that will come out of the wannabe sections, i already see enough "my first ever 3D model" threads on here as it is, and while some impress, most do not. Good points

@Zoidburg - yeah that is a business model that would work but I think a lot of people would complain, I saw a mod on here a while back and on ModDB the creator had decided they would rather sell it since they were putting more work in than planned. It became a total sh**storm after that and it was ridiculous how unappreciative people can be sometimes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6-7 years and I'm still struggling to learn the Zbrush Interface and UI. Albeit I haven't been trying all that hard that entire time, but 2-3 concentrated pushes to get past the interface and I still feel like someone stole my thumbs while using it.

With this, it was like mudbox it just worked and I didn't need massive tutorials, notes, videos and mentors to get me over the learning hump. I really look forward to using this more. Although I doubt it will dethrone Mudbox in my workflow, I really enjoy this and I hope they incorporate more of these features in Zbrush, not only the easy to use UI but the smart sub-division of surfaces WITHOUT some crazy workflow.