Home Big News

Brawl Winners: 4th Place goes to...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Another day, another Brawl winner to announce! Up today are the Brawl Contest's 4th Place Finalists.

As you may remember, the judges were sent the Top 5 FIGHTERS and Top 5 STAGES as voted on by the Polycount Community. From there, they rated the entries in 3 areas: Artistic Achievement, Technical Achievement, and Brief Criteria. The points were tallied and our winners were decided. In the event of a tie, we referenced the public vote and the Fighter or Stage with the most amount of votes was given the win.

Up first:

The 4th place winners!

4th place FIGHTER: Hazardous's Chun Li!

The judges comments:

Chris George:

Technical Achievement

Another contest, and another hot chick from Hazardous. Chun Li is a great model, but there are some areas that really stand out to me which I felt could have benefited from some extra time. Some areas of the model stand out as low-poly, such as the tubes connecting her braids to her head.

Artistic Achievement
The model is executed well. I like how the proportions were pushed. What good is Chun Li without massive hips and thighs? I really like the soft specular materials, and the normal bake is super clean.  However, she does feel a lot like Street Fighter Alpha Chun Li with mech/armor parts glued onto her. The parts don’t feel integrated into the design. I would have liked the Cyber-esque treatment to have been taken further.

Brief Criteria
This is definitely a redesign and follows the spirit of the contest. I would have liked to have seen the design of the outfit stray from Chun Li, SFA edition a little more and embrace the Cyber theme more fully.

Vitaliy Naymushin:

Technical Achievement
This model is also technically very well done, everything looks very clean and its using all the polygons efficiently.

Artistic Achievement
Artistically I really like the balance and the appeal of this character, there's armor and some sci-fi bits but they are not overwhelming, you can still clearly see its Chun Li and the vibe of the character comes through really well. I like the textures and the colors, its overall a very pleasing complete looking character.

Brief Criteria
I think this entry did a really good job of re-envisioning Chun Li, she's got that cool sci-fi Tron thing going on and it works really well.

Hanno Hagedorn:

Note: We received Hanno's notes for the 5th Place winner and have updated the post.

Technical Achievement
Suboptimal poly distribution. Too many poly in details,but lack of polygons in major parts. eg. breasts, shoulder-pads, etc.

Artistic Achievement
Very solid modeling overall. Anatomy and detailing could be stronger.

Brief Criteria
Proper creative use of the given limitations. Great mix of Sci-fi and traditional looks.

4th place STAGE: Minola's Graveyard!

The judges comments:

Ryan Monday:

Technical Achievement
Although this is a great looking piece with very solid fundamentals it does not push the technology envelope as much as the others. However the fact you got a great looking environment without doing that holds some merit on its own.

Artistic Achievement
The style in this set is a nice refresher. The twisted trees are extremely well executed and I love the little details like the beady red eyes or the roots and grass tuffs coming up through the bricks. Also love the extreme foreground fence poles framing the shot.

Brief Criteria
You added a nice style to this scene and you kept the most important element from the original stage, those nice twisted trees. The One thing that really holds this one back is not a really clear, defined stage for the fighters. It almost seems like an afterthought to everything else in the scene. In the original the stone road was deep and well defined.  One thing that might of helped on selling it is pushing all your mid ground items back or using a different FOV on the camera.

Josh Cook:

Technical Achievement
Great optimization and use of alpha textures.

Artistic Acheivement
Good detail, depth and atmosphere, nice sense of life to environment.

Brief Criteria
Good job of a re imagining into a 3D environment.

Bram Eulers

Technical Achievement
This entry is pretty old school in using just diffuse textures, but that definitely doesn't make it a bad technical achievement. I love the use of next-gen techniques to create nicely lit diffuse textures Some of the texture layouts could have been more optimised though, especially on the trees, which ended up looking pretty low res because of their texture
layout.

As an arena for a fighter game, it feels very small. Where does the arena start and where does it end?

Artistic Achievement
Artistically my favorite entry. All the details feel painted in just right and very balanced. The composition is great, and I love the use of color and athmospheric effects. Though diffuse, the materials are rendered out very well. Overall it feels very fun and attractive.

Brief Criteria
As a reinterpretation its pretty much the same scene, but improved artistically with some better designed elements and color scheme.

Yeesh - what amazing pieces of game art to land in 4th Place overall. Both Hazardous' and Minola's entries turned out fantastic and congratulations on 4th Place for Fighters and Stages!

Replies