Home News

CNN Article: How to Break In

Scott Stienberg (one of the few people on TV who doesn't talk out his ass when talking about games), posted an interesting article for those looking to get into the industry.

"(CNN) -- Breaking into the video game industry doesn't require fancy degrees, insider knowledge or a well-connected ex-roommate. Better still, anyone can do it right from home and get started overnight. But it's not necessarily easy."

"But with so many game-industry wannabes competing for so few coveted positions, ultimately it's one's willingness to work, not play, that determines who gets the job."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/12/21/careers.video.games.steinberg/

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Interesting article and he clearly goes straight to the point. Of course we all know these points already but newcomers will like to read it.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Did it really take this long for people to realize they cant play games 12 hours a day and still pull off a portfolio? You play games or you make games. Take your pick. Once your making games, you can slowly pull back in playing them.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Good article!
    But really? You guys don't play games? When I worked in the industry I had time to play at least an hour or two a day. And I have a kid.

Or maybe you're not talking about the lack of time? I can understand that you might not feel like playing games seeing as you've been making them the whole day.
    But I make games because I love playing games, and the day I don't want to play games is the day I'll quit the industry. :(
  • ViktorSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Disting.

I think one of the reason to make game is that I like gaming. A lot.

I expect you are not saying that the only one good reason you have to enter the industry is "take the money and run".
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Disting, I think the author was saying that a portfolio full of work is better than a laundry list of games. I have a friend that works in test at MS and he was required to create a list of games played when he applied. Ultimately if you want to make games you'll need to spend time learning to make them instead of playing them, at least for a while until you've built up a skill set that can land you a job.

I love games and I still play them often, but I love art and creating games. When I get home I normally have the urge to make more art or work on a mod or map for a game totally outside of the style I spend all day creating.

Before switching to games I was in "graphic arts" doing digital paste up. Before that I wanted to be a comic book artist or an animator so the drive for art was always stronger for me personally. Also at the time there wasn't really an industry yet it was just getting started. I still played a lot of games even while learning 3D and they where the two biggest passions in my life, when I got the opportunity to merge the two I took it and haven't looked back since.

If I hadn't played games I wouldn't be where I am today, however to get here I did have to sacrifice playing games in favor of learning and practicing the craft. It sucked but once you get over that hump you can play more often.
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Gotta say, when I get home from a long day of staring at screens, I usually have little desire to play (video) games.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the article isnt bad but i think that having a good degree will help go further in life then just being exploited for your talent. The best plan i think is to get a good degree in the field you want and at the same time pratice your art at home!
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the article, until he said becoming a professional gamer was a viable option :P