Home News

Clarisse is coming soon

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder

Are you in the mood for a new tool for crafting objects in 3 dimensions? If so, you might take a look at Clarisse. Hit the jump for more infos. What is Clarisse? Well here's what they had to say about it:

Clarisse is a new breed of high-end 2D/3D animation software that reinvents the traditional approaches of creating final images. In a single integrated application, Clarisse provides you with all the means to paint, animate, texture, surface, create layers, render and compose.

Powered by its unique approach, Clarisse, offers many new possibilities to you improving greatly your productivity, such as painting, within the same software, a texture affecting global illumination, displacement or reflection, while you interactively see the result with the full compositing on. You can even work simultaneously on two distinct images when one is being rendered!

You're gonna need to jump over to their web site for the pictures and even more marketing materials. Oh and I should warn you; their site commits one of the internet's cardinal sins, they have loud unstoppable music streaming to your speakers or headphones when you visit. I assume it's supposed to be inspirational or someone's cruel attempt to drive people away. The Alpha starts up soon too, so make sure you sign up if you are interested.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaa?! Looks incredible! All those tools AND interface customisation?!

I've got two questions;

Does it bake/RTT? WIll it cost less than 'The Big 2'?

I'm still on a student license from AD and will need to buy my first licensed software soon, if this is within my price range then my wallet is at the ready... pending a trial of course!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    From their faq

Can I model geometries, rig and deform characters within Clarisse?
    Not yet, Clarisse won't provide any modeling, rigging and character animation related tools in its first version. You will need to import your geometries or scenes from other packages. For more information, please see the import file format section of the technical specifications .

How much does Clarisse cost?
    Sorry we just can't disclose Clarisse's price yet, but we can tell you that it will cost no more than high-end 2D or 3D packages (expect a 4 digit number).

Looks like you'll be stuck with AD at least for the time being c22.

Don't get me wrong, It looks like it has the potential to be awesome, and maybe I missed something. However, at the moment they're making a lot of claims of what the software can do, but in actuality its what they want it to eventually be able to do... :(
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh cheers Grimm. I just read their faq a second ago.

In a massive turn of opinion, I'm ashamed of my enthusiastic and hasty first comment.

This one looks set to head straight for the vapourware section.

Looks like I will be sticking with AD then! Not that I dislike the big 2, I just wish they weren't so expensive for home minimal-commercial users.

If this company can deliver, and they add a solid modelling toolset, they could be onto something.

I'm still waiting for the guy who takes everything we like from Max, adds it to Maya, and mixes a bit of Modo's modelling toolset, along with some decent DX/realtime previews, a RTT function to rival XNormal and a Mac/Pc version, all for around a grand, then I'll be happy :D
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it looks promising, but I spose it's not even released yet, they can do anything with this.

They could even take the Lightwave approach, have all this rendering and compositing in one program and have the modeller in another with seamless importing and exporting.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hope it does 3 or so things really well to justify the $1,000+ price tag, 3Dcoat does 3 or so things really well and its only $300...
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    3D-Coat is $349 now, though, and I expect that price to climb as Andrew keeps adding stuff to it.

Can't help but feel that's the approach these Isotropix guys should have taken. All they have is a lot of marketing buzzwords making promises without actually saying anything, and what they say is stuff that's already in 3D packages. I half expected them to mention having integrated a flux capacitor into their rendering engine. It would sort of have fit with the tone.

Maybe I'm overly critical, but when they talk about a 4 digit price tag they'd better have more than spiel.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does it support gpu based rendering?
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    @lampekap, I suspect that interactive change of lighting and shading is GPU rendered :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Klumpmeister