Home Big News

Beat Em Up! Challenge Update

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18

It's been a few weeks since we kicked off the Beat Em Up Challenge and what a productive few weeks it's been. There have been some seriously nice and interesting entries so far and if you don't get much time to follow the challenge, then this post is for you!

Here are a select few entries for you to check out.

BEAT-EM-UP! | Kysterama

Here's an entry that really plays on my nostalgic heart strings, this Honey I Shrunk The Kids inspired piece is one of the more interesting concepts in this challenge. Not only does it remind me of the film, but it takes me back to the old DOS based Micro Machines game.

BEAT-EM-UP! | Axios

Still early days for Axios, but things are really starting to take shape. Excellent execution and highly intricate designs will definitely make this a really strong entry.

BEAT-EM-UP! | andrei313

This entry caught my eye because it has such tremendous style and I'm eagerly awaiting to see it all laid out, textured and lit. This is andrei313 we are talking about, so I'm expecting nothing less than excellence.
More props and other goodies in the thread.

BEAT-EM-UP! | System404

The concept blew my away and I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. It has a really beautiful and clean style influenced by Disney and Warner Bros. cartoon backdrops. Further in the thread there is a 3D tree which is a perfect translation of the 2D concept. Definitely keen an eye on this one!

BEAT-EM-UP! | ParoXum

Really digging this entry because it has a great use of modular construction as well as the great depth that is created with the pipes leading back towards the tall stacks, while still keeping the attention to the mid ground.

BEAT-EM-UP! | Bal

Bal is making great progress with his entry with some interesting lighting techniques. Once some textures are thrown into the mix, this should make for a great entry.

BEAT-EM-UP! | EzMeow

Great architecture, mood and lighting! Things get a little crazier further into the thread with some M.C. Escher inspired designs.

BEAT-EM-UP! | roosterMAP

Sticking with the classic Gothic/Graveyard scene, roosterMAP has been creating some really solid construction pieces that should make for a well executed scene once finalised.

BEAT-EM-UP! | adam & Virtuosic

These guys are off to a great start doing a lot of pre-production work and planning which should pay off as the contest progresses. This is a great thread for those of you new to the game development scene and want a taste of how a pre-production cycle works in the industry.
Also, some lighting and style tests, which looks like TF2 meets Mirror's Edge with a twist of grunge.

BEAT-EM-UP! | Pedro Amorim + glynnsmith

Last but not least, I leave you with a visual feast for your face in video form! The thread has more eye candy as would be expected from these two design geniuses!

Just a reminder, folks, the contest deadline is October 22nd, 2010. So with over a month to go, there's still plenty of time to get involved if you haven't already done so.

Keep pimping and best of luck everyone. We will be looking forward to more updates.

Relevant Links: