Home Big News

Digimation, prices drop

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18

Who are Digimation and what is this nonsense about drastically lowering prices?

Well, Digimation provide 3D digital content, creative services and custom solutions. They develop and market quality, technically accurate 3D solutions designed to speed up development and enhance the quality of visual communication, training and entertainment in the commercial and defense industries.

So wait... They are basically a 3D model bank and outsourcing company? Well, what about these prices they are lowering?

I'm getting to that! To best explain, here is a direct quote from the Digimation news page:

"Digimation® today announced that it has dramatically reduced the pricing of its 3D model collections; The Archive™ and Model Bank Library™. The Archive Platinum Edition which includes more than 10,000 models and was formerly priced at $2,995 will now sell for $299. The Archive Titanium Edition which includes more than 16,500 models and formerly sold for $4,995 is now priced at $599. The Model Bank Library which includes 1,200 models and was formerly priced at $999 has been reduced to $199."

WHOA! That's a low price!

Okay, so it's drastically cheaper... What does that mean for me, my development studio, my school, etc?

Maybe you have a small development team, your deadline is looming ever so near and you have an asset list longer than my pe... Errr, you have a REALLY long list! This cheap solution from Digimation could be your potential saviour and it costs far less than having to outsource to some unknown studio in the middle of Antarctica.

Maybe you're not an artist and you just want to block together a demo to attract artists to your project. Why not use these already established models to kick start your development.

Maybe you're new to the 3D industry and you'd like to look at a variety of models to understand how to build and texture them for training purposes.

Maybe you... You get the idea!

So this could be handy... But seriously, what is the quality really like?

After quickly browsing through some thumbnail images of the models, they are pretty hit and miss and there is a lot of rubbish in amongst the gems. The vehicles seem to the best models from the lot and the characters are probably the worst. But for the new discounted price, don't expect to get 3 Point Studios quality assets. But with some nice lighting and/or a quick texture pass, you could salvage quite a lot.

Examples of some of the assets:

Would you find this service useful during development in a professional and/or personal workplace and does the discounted price make their model packs more appealing?

Relevant Links:

Replies